Since no breakfast is complete without a cup of coffee, and there is no better breakfast than a high stack of pancakes, why not combine the two into one irresistible masterpiece? Coffee-infused, doused in a mocha glaze, and topped with whipped cream, these pancakes are not for the faint of heart.
Save these for a morning when you’re feeling ambitious and have a big day ahead of you, because when caffeine and sugar are the two main components of your breakfast, there is NOTHING that can stop you.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 cup flour of your choice (I used half all-purpose flour and half buckwheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons agave nectar or other sweetener of choice
1 tbsp melted butter
2-3 tablespoons instant coffee granules (depending on desired strength of coffee flavor)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup brewed coffee
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. With electric beaters, combine buttermilk, egg, melted butter, agave nectar and instant coffee. Beat until coffee granules are completely dissolved.
3. Add wet mixture to dry mixture. Stir until the ingredients are just combined. The batter will be lumpy. Mix in chocolate chips.
4. Heat skillet over medium heat, and spray with cooking spray. Pour about 1/3 cup of batter on the pan, and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat until you have cooked all the batter.
5. To make the mocha glaze, heat the sugar, cocoa powder, coffee, salt, and vanilla extract over medium heat, stirring constantly. In 5-10 minutes, ingredients should begin to form a syrup-like consistency. Remove from heat at this point.
6. Stack ’em high, drizzle the mocha glaze, throw on some whipped cream and top it off with more chocolate chips if you like. You earned this one.
Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?
Craving more pancake recipes? Take a look at these:
- 4-Ingredient Chai Pancakes
- The Best Banana Oat Pancakes to Start Your Morning
- Hot Chocolate Pancake Stacks With Charred Marshmallows