You just finished a crazy, hectic test week. You’re delirious. You’re erratic. You’re crossing your fingers that the constant light of a computer screen might have given you some sort of tan.

You’ve been counting the exact hours/minutes of sleep you would get if you went to sleep right now, and you’re surviving on nothing more than large amounts of coffee and that crushed up granola bar you found at the bottom of your backpack.

One thing is for sure. You’re hungry.

Like, really hungry.

You have two choices. You could dive into the guilt-ridden grease that is McDonalds, or you could cook up the world’s greatest comfort food: mashed potatoes.

Yes, I know you would actually have to make them, and you’re already super hungry. But, power through. I swear nothing makes your day better than a spoon(fork?)ful of this fluffy masterpiece.

Medium

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Total Time: 35-40 minutes

Servings: 4

1 ½ pounds red potatoes (about 8 small) quartered, skin left on
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup sour cream
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces

1. Cover potatoes in water. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

Photo by Vernell Dunams

Photo by Vernell Dunams

2. Put remaining ingredients into a bowl: ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, garlic powder, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, and butter.

Photo by Vernell Dunams

Photo by Vernell Dunams

3. When potatoes are soft, remove from heat and drain. Add potatoes to bowl and mash all ingredients together.

Pro tip: if you have an electric mixer, use it.

Photo by Vernell Dunams

Photo by Vernell Dunams

Spoon tip: For those with a particular horrendous week, one word: bacon.

Recipe adapted from Delicious As It Looks.

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

Mash-Potatoes

Expecting leftovers? Make sure they’re just as good the second time: