Once when I was jonesin’ for some chocolate chippies, I stumbled upon this recipe by the kween herself, Martha Stewart. When making the cookie dough, I decided to get fancy and add some Ovaltine to the dough (malted chocolate powder you can mix in to a beverage).

I tried malted chocolate chip cookies before, so I knew there would be some benefit to throwing it in the dough. And, it actually has some nutritional value, so you don’t have to worry too much about eating an entire batch.

With the added malt, the cookies were so top-notch, I had to share. So, here is my take on Martha Stewart’s chocolate chip cookies, with a little something extra to make them even more wonderful than they already are. If you aren’t feelin’ the malt add-on, here is the original recipe the way Martha intended.

#SpoonTip: The longer you bake them, the less chewy they’ll be. For crispier cookies, bake them for about 14 minutes or so. For chewier cookies, bake them closer to 12 minutes.

Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:30 minutes
  • Servings:Makes about 24 cookies

• 2 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cup chocolate chips
  • 3-4 teaspoon Ovaltine or malt
Photo by Maris Rosenfeld

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk together the flour and baking soda. Then, combine the butter and sugars on medium speed with a hand or stand mixer.

Photo by Maris Rosenfeld

Reduce speed to low and add eggs, salt, and vanilla. Then slowly add the flour mixture and stir till combined. Add the malt and stir until combined.

Photo by Maris Rosenfeld

Mix or fold in the chocolate chips. You can add more than two cups (I always do).

Photo by Maris Rosenfeld

Put the cookies on a baking sheet a few inches apart. Bake the cookies for about 12-15 minutes, checking on them every few minutes. Wait until they are golden on the edges; they will look a little goopy but don’t worry, you’ll know when they’re done.

Photo by Maris Rosenfeld