Hooray, summer is finally here! Many of us have not been focusing on that summer physique though, considering we inhaled junk food at all hours of the night during finals week, and probably even the whole semester.

Last call to make those healthy choices in order to create any sort of attempt at a beach-bod! But there’s no need to be extreme here. Wouldn’t you rather create a transition into that kind of lifestyle? Me too, so let us start by combining healthy and a fan-favorite junk food: zucchini and pizza.

Whether your choice of diets is trying to be gluten free or cutting carbs in general, this zucchini pizza boat recipe is a good start. Because no matter what you believe in, vegetables are good for you. Hence the zucchini, which I found will actually fill you up more than regular pizza dough. Plus, everyone knows vegetables are even better topped with cheese… calcium amirite?

Make your zucchini pizza boats as you would have your normal pizza made. Take your dough crispy? Leave these in the oven longer to make the zucchini a little more well-done. This recipe has the option of using oregano, if you’re fancy like that. I used turkey pepperoni instead of traditional, because I am totally about that clean eating, except on Sunday. Add more veggies if you feel so inclined. Healthy does not have to be boring, my friends.

Zucchini Pizza Boats

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:12-18 minutes
  • Total Time:22-28 minutes

• 6 small zucchini
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 cup marinara sauce
  • 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup pepperni slices
  • 2 tablespoon oregano (optional)
Photo by Jackie Kuczynski

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (or use a nonstick), and set aside.

Cut each zucchini in half, length wise.

#Spoontip: If they do not lie flat enough, cut a small slice off of the round side.

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Pat the insides (cut portion) of the zucchinis with paper towels. Align on the baking sheet.

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Stir together garlic and olive oil and brush lightly over each zucchini. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Brush a heap of marinara sauce over each zucchini.

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Sprinkle the tops of each one with mozzarella cheese, and then with Parmesan cheese.

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Top each zucchini boat with pepperoni slices, placing them as centered as possible.

Pop them in the oven for 12-8 minutes, depending the size of the zucchini and how crisp/tender you want them.

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski