Everyone loves chocolate chip cookies. From mom’s freshly baked chocolate chip cookies to the packaged variety in grocery stores, it’s hard for anyone to turn down the chocolatey morsels. But after eating an entire batch of chocolate chip cookies, one can begin to wonder what other treats are out there to devour in one sitting.

Like every college student knows, keeping baked goods around is essential to surviving everything from midterm season to a long day of classes. When chocolate chip cookies just don’t seem to cut it anymore and you're looking for a new chocolate cookie recipe, these chocolate snaps are the way to go.

Now, what is a chocolate snap? It’s like a gingersnap, only laced with flavors of chocolate and cinnamon. It’s the perfect substitute for everyone’s favorite chocolate chip cookie because it has the same crunchy texture as a proper chocolate chip cookie, but includes what people always yearn for more of in a traditional chocolate chip cookie: more chocolate.

I grew up making this cookie for every occasion, from Christmas to birthdays to after school snacks. What makes chocolate snaps so special and sets them apart from regular chocolate chip cookies is that melted, unsweetened chocolate runs throughout the entire cookie, instead of just in chunks like in a chocolate chip cookie, and the cookie dough is rolled in sugar before they’re baked to give the final product a crunchy, sugary finish. These cookies are sure to satisfy anyone’s late night cookie cravings.

Chocolate Snaps

• 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 ¾ cup flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
oatmeal cookie, oatmeal, chocolate cookie, goody, sweet, cookie, chocolate
Kendall Green

Preheat oven to 350°F.

beer, tea
    Kendall Green

Over a double boiler or in the microwave, melt the unsweetened chocolate then set it aside to cool.

cake, pizza, tea
    Kendall Green

In a large mixing bowl, whisk 1 cup of the sugar with the vegetable shortening and melted chocolate until the two are combined and light and fluffy in texture.

sweet, mousse, coffee, cake, cream, chocolate
    Kendall Green

Add the egg to the sugar, shortening, and chocolate mixture and whisk to combine.

sweet, coffee, cream, cake, milk, chocolate
    Kendall Green

Add the corn syrup and whisk to combine.

#SpoonTip: Spray the ¼ cup measure with nonstick cooking spray before adding the corn syrup so that the corn syrup does not stick to the inside of the measuring cup.

chocolate, coffee, wine
    Kendall Green

Add the flour to the mixture in three stages and whisk to combine.

cake, milk, cream, chocolate
    Kendall Green

Add the baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to the mixture and stir to combine.

cream, cake, chocolate
    Kendall Green

Take about a tablespoon of the cookie dough and roll it into a ball.

chocolate
    Kendall Green

Roll the ball in the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.

chocolate, cake
    Kendall Green

Place the sugar covered cookie dough ball onto a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. (NOTE: the cookies will spread when they bake, so make sure they are spaced far enough apart so they don’t bake together.)

butter, peanut, chocolate, peanut butter
    Kendall Green

Bake cookies for 13-15 minutes until the cookies have spread and the bottom is golden.

Kendall Green