Of all Easter chocolates, Cadbury mini eggs are by far the most delectable. The milk chocolate centre–or for all you bitter enthusiasts, dark chocolate–is layered with a crunchy candy coat, which admittedly is far more satisfying than any other sugar rush from peep or cream eggs.

That chocolate-candy balance is definitely at its best in a Cadbury mini egg. However, for the true chocolate or dessert enthusiast, the nuance of a mini egg and perhaps Easter candy in general can leave you seeking for more.

Enter Spoon University, we are about to introduce to you an Easter cupcake you will never forget.

This cupcake has chocolate mini eggs baked into the dessert itself, and sprinkled on top of the buttercream icing.

Advanced Course

Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 40 minutes

Servings: 24 cupcakes

Cake:
¾ cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1½ cups milk
½ cup crushed mini eggs

Frosting:
1 cup butter
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons whipping cream
½ cup crushed chocolate mini eggs
1 mini egg per cupcake for topping (optional)

easter cupcakes

Photo by Brandon Guild

Cake Directions:
1. Let butter and eggs sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line your cupcake/muffin pans with paper liners.

easter cupcakes

Photo by Brandon Guild

2. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

easter cupcakes

Photo by Brandon Guild

3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer for 30 seconds (note: doing this with a stand or hand-held works just as well). Add sugar ¼ cup at a time. Remember to scrape the sides of the bowl as you go.

easter cupcakes

Photo by Brandon Guild

4. Once the sugar is mixed with the butter, add eggs one at a time, followed by vanilla.

easter cupcakes

Photo by Brandon Guild

5. Alternate between additions of flour mixture and milk, beating on low speed after each addition. Then beat for an additional 20 seconds on medium-high speed to finish.

easter cupcakes

Photo by Brandon Guild

6. Fold-in crushed chocolate mini-eggs and scoop into the lined pans with an ice-cream scoop.

easter cupcakes

Photo by Brandon Guild

7. Bake 30-35 minutes. To ensure readiness, insert a toothpick at the center of a cupcake and see if it comes out cleanly, without any raw clumps of dough attached. Rotate your cupcake pans half-way through baking, if necessary.

easter cupcakes

Photo by Brandon Guild

8. Cool cupcakes in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove the desserts from the pan and cool for at least another 45 minutes before frosting.

Frosting Directions:
1. Using a stand or hand mixer, blend the sugar one cup at a time with the butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.

2. Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream as needed for spreading consistency.

easter cupcakes

Photo by Brandon Guild

3. Spread icing on cupcakes or pipe swirls using a piping bag or plastic bag with a hole cut in the corner.

easter cupcakes

Photo by Brandon Guild

4. Top with whole and crushed mini eggs and enjoy.

easter cupcakes

Photo by Brandon Guild

More great desserts on Spoon University: