It's that wonderful time of the year again. Back to school for another semester. With the holidays behind us, we are missing our parent's cooking and the holiday treats. But being back at school doesn't mean the deliciousness has to stop. Show your roommates that you make the perfect roommate "parent" and make the best coffee cake to start off your day. 

#SpoonTip: This coffee cake recipe is a great hangover breakfast or motivation for early study sessions. 

cake, pie, peanut, butter, apple, peanut butter, caramel, chocolate
Montana Black

Coffee Cake

• Total Time:1 hr 40 mins

• Topping:
  • 1/3 cup yellow sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 tsp softened butter
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • Filling:
  • 1/4 cup yellow sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • Batter:
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 12 tbsp unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 350° fahrenheit.

coffee, tea, beer, cake, pizza
    Montana Black

Blend the topping ingredients together in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, blend together the filling ingredients. Set them both aside.

cheese
    Montana Black

In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, Greek yogurt and vanilla with a hand mixer on low until well combined.

bread, egg, pudding, flour, cream, dairy product, milk
    Montana Black

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients well. Add butter, mixing on low and increasing to high once fully combined (about 2 minutes). Add the egg/yogurt/vanilla mixture to the large bowl in 2 parts, mixing for 30 seconds between each.

salt
    Montana Black

Grease a 9-inch springform pan. Cut a piece of wax paper to fit the pan and place inside. Grease and flour the paper and pan.

chocolate, coffee

Pour 1/3 of the batter in the pan evenly, then place the filling on top making sure to cover the batter evenly. Pour the rest of the batter and even it out, then crumble the topping mixture over the batter using your hand.

dough, wheat, cereal, sweet, flour
    Montana Black

Bake for 45 - 55 minutes, then let cool completely.

caramel, chocolate, coffee
    Montana Black

The cooking time may vary depending on the strength of your oven or your preference in texture (gooey vs cakey).

SpoonTip: place the cake in a Ziploc bag and freeze overnight. When it's fully frozen, cut into small pieces to dip in hot chocolate or coffee.