My sweet tooth is a rampaging hippogriff, but it’s always a struggle between splurging on fancy desserts or spending time making my own. Eclairs, ice creams, and cakes are my favorite cravings, although they take ages to whip up in the kitchen. Who really has time to craft those delightful calories?

Enter my mother: a full-time professor and mother of two, she is the queen of efficient, scrumptious meals that are low effort and high taste bud satisfaction. She’s been making this eclair recipe since I was a child, changing little in the handwritten instructions.

The paper is long since faded, but the explosion of taste is as intense as ever. Chocolatey, fluffy, and cinnamon all in one spoonful—you’ll be ditching those trendy ice cream rolls ASAP. Read below to cook this easy-peasy custard king.

No Fuss Eclair

• Cook Time:3 hrs
  • Total Time:3 hrs 15 mins

• 2 packages instant vanilla pudding
  • 3 cups milk
  • 8 ounces Cool Whip
  • Cinnamon graham crackers
  • 1/2 cup cocoa
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
chocolate cake, chocolate, cake
Mackenzie Patel

Place layer of graham crackers on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.

pastry, unleavened, sweet, cracker, cookie, cereal, bread, wheat
    Mackenzie Patel

Combine packets of instant vanilla pudding with the milk. Mix until pudding condenses.

cream, egg, dairy, dairy product, milk
    Mackenzie Patel

Defrost the Cool Whip and mix in with the pudding.

butter, pudding, sweet, dairy product, milk, cream
    Mackenzie Patel

In a separate saucepan, boil the cocoa, sugar, evaporated milk, butter, and vanilla extract until the chocolate sauce is formed.

coffee, dairy product, chocolate, sweet, cream, milk
    Mackenzie Patel

Layer the cream with the graham crackers and chocolate, creating 3 layers (ending with graham crackers on top).

cream, goody, pastry, cake, cookie, candy, chocolate, sweet
    Mackenzie Patel

Pour remaining sauce over the graham cracker/cream custard and place in the fridge for 3 hours+ before serving.

cream, chocolate cake, chocolate, cake
    Mackenzie Patel

Can’t wait for this whipped thrill? The best part is, this recipe is perfect for a solo night on the couch with a Stella and She’s The Man