You're at a bakery, and you have to choose between your favorite cookie flavors: chocolate chip, sugar, and double chocolate. Can't decide? Say no more.

Inspired by a Pinterest photo and my friend's hatred of cake, I created a layered birthday cookie cake featuring a festive spin on classic flavors: m&m chocolate chip, Funfetti sugar, and molten triple chocolate

Don't think this could get any better? Sandwiched between the layers is chocolate chip cookie dough frosting. This cake is so decadent, you won't need a birthday as an excuse to make it. 

Triple Layer Birthday Cookie Cake

• Prep Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 30 mins

• 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup m&m's
  • 1/2 cup sprinkles
  • 5 sticks unsalted butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 5 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 4 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar or 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 3 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • Disclaimer: measurements above are combined from each recipe
sweet, milk, chocolate
Sydney Youmans

Preheat 2 ovens for 350° F. For the m&m chocolate chip cookie layer, start by creaming one stick of butter, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, and 3/4 cup white sugar together.

egg, cream
    Sydney Youmans

Add in 1 tsp vanilla and 1 egg. Mix.

egg, chicken
    Sydney Youmans

Follow with 1 and 1/4 cup of flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. I added in the flour in 2 parts to make it easier. Mix carefully until well combined to avoid flour getting all over you.

dairy product, ice, dough, cream, flour
    Sydney Youmans

Now for the best part, the m&m's and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Pour them in and mix until thoroughly incorporated. I used about 1/2 cup of each, but the proportions are up to you. Switch to a spoon for this part if you were using a whisk like I did.

oatmeal, cookie, butter, peanut, chocolate, peanut butter
    Sydney Youmans

Coat a round cake pan with non-stick spray or butter. Press the cookie dough into pan in an even layer. Do as I say, not as I do. I didn't have a round cake pan to work with, so I attempted my own with aluminum foil and a baking sheet. Let's just say I was ambitious. Set aside to work on the other 2 batters.

cookie, sweet, bread, cake
    Sydney Youmans

Now for the Funfetti sugar cookie. In a bowl, cream 1 stick of butter with 1 cup white sugar.

milk, mashed potatoes, bread, dairy product, flour, dough, egg
    Sydney Youmans

Add in 1 tsp vanilla and 1 egg. Mix.

dairy product, flour, fried egg, egg yolk, egg
    Sydney Youmans

Follow with 1 and 1/4 cup of flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Add in half the flour at a time, same as with the m&m chocolate chip recipe.

pancake, cake, dough, cream, flour, batter, egg
    Sydney Youmans

Stir in about 1/2 cup of sprinkles or as many or as little as you want.

rice, sprinkles, cream, cake
    Sydney Youmans

In a second greased round cake pan, press the funfetti cookie batter into an even layer. Set aside to make the last cookie dough.

cream, cake, sprinkles, rice
    Sydney Youmans

Time for the final cookie layer -triple chocolate. Cream 1 stick of butter, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, and 1 cup white sugar.

pork, chicken, bacon
    Sydney Youmans

Mix in 2 eggs and 1 tsp vanilla.

egg, chicken
    Sydney Youmans

Add in 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.

ice cream, chocolate
    Sydney Youmans

Mix in 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt. Add in the 1 cup flour one half at a time.

chocolate cake, cream, chocolate, cake
    Sydney Youmans

Stir in 1/2 cup white chocolate chips and 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.

goody, chocolate cake, cream, milk, sweet, candy, cake, chocolate
    Sydney Youmans

Pack the triple chocolate cookie dough into the third greased round cake pan. Bake the cookie cakes each on their own racks for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean. (For the triple chocolate cookie, bake for the full 30 minutes and allow to cool completely. The center won't come out clean because you want it to still be slightly gooey.)

cake, pie, pizza, pastry, cheese, bread
    Sydney Youmans

While the cookies are cooling out of the oven, prepare the chocolate chip cookie dough frosting (aka the best part of the recipe). Cream together 2 sticks of butter and 3/4 cup light brown sugar (or 1/2 cup dark brown and 1/4 cup white sugar if you only have dark brown on hand).

matcha, milk, ice, tea
    Sydney Youmans

Add in 2 tsp vanilla. Mix in 1 cup powdered sugar a little at a time to keep things clean.

cake, chocolate, dough, batter, egg, flour
    Sydney Youmans

Mix in 1 cup flour and 1/2 tsp salt. Again, slowly add in flour.

cake, milk, egg, batter, dough, flour
    Sydney Youmans

Stir in milk a couple tablespoons at a time until you reach your desired creamy consistency.

ice cream, peanut butter, butter, chocolate, dough, cream, batter
    Sydney Youmans

Stir in 1 cup mini chocolate chips.

peanut, cookie, peanut butter, butter, chocolate, dough
    Sydney Youmans

You've made it this far. Now for the final part -assembly. Take your bottom layer -I chose m&m chocolate chip- and place it on your serving plate. Place a heaping spoon of cookie dough frosting and evenly spread to the edges. It's difficult to get it completely smooth because of the chips but do your best.

pizza, blue cheese, cheese
    Sydney Youmans

Follow with the next layer -I chose triple chocolate for a soft center- and spread another generous layer of frosting on top. (Featured below: troubleshooting which order to put the layers in.)

chocolate, cream, sweet, pastry, dough, cookie, dairy product, cake
    Sydney Youmans

Finish with the final Funfetti cookie layer and another layer frosting. I placed a few dollops of extra frosting as reinforcement for where i decided to put candles. I threw on some leftover sprinkles to complete the birthday theme.

birthday cake, chocolate, sprinkles, cake
    Sydney Youmans

The final product looks really homemade, but that's what makes the cake even better. It came from the heart. It tastes even better than it looks!

chocolate, sprinkles, birthday cake, cake
    Sydney Youmans

If you like a particular layer, feel free to make a batch of regular cookies with its recipe. The cake is completely customizable, too. Replace a layer with your favorite peanut butter cookie recipe, or add Oreos to the triple chocolate layer. It's your birthday, you decide!

And to my reason for this recipe, 

Happy Birthday, T'yanna!