Jam is the jelled puree which is made with the flesh and juice of fruits. Along with sugar and water, it is heated which helps to activate pectin which you add. According to the Food Network's blog, Healthy Eats, store-bought jams and jellies contain more sugar than fruit. Why would you want to put all that sugar into your body when you can make your own? 

Making freezer jam from scratch can be time-consuming and complicated at first, but the end result is something amazing. Not only are you saving money because you won't have to buy jam for months on end now because of the supply you can keep in the freezer, it's healthier for you, and now you always have the perfect gift to give to your friends.  

For as long as I can remember I have been making homemade freezer jam with my mom and my great aunt. It is something very special to my heart and I hope it becomes close to your heart as well. 

Homemade Freezer Strawberry Jam

• Prep Time:1 day
  • Total Time:1 day 30 mins

• 4 Cups crushed strawberries
  • 8 Cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 Cup water
  • 1 Box SURE-JELL Fruit Pectin Original
gelatin, honey, jelly, marmalade, jam
MacKenzie Taylor

I recommend finding a local strawberry patch to pick your own fresh berries. But, if the season is over you can always check out your local farmers market or buy some from your local grocery store.

pasture, strawberry, berry
    MacKenzie Taylor

Once you get home with your berries I wouldn't wait more than a day before you start the process. Cut off the top, any bad spots, and the core out of the berries.

strawberry, apple
    MacKenzie Taylor

Tip: fill up your sink (make sure it is clean) with water and let the berries sit for a minute while moving them around to make sure they are clean on all sides.

cherry, pasture, juice, berry, apple, sweet
    MacKenzie Taylor

Once the berries are clean take them out of the water and put them onto paper towels and pat them dry. (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT)

sweet, berry, cake, strawberry
    MacKenzie Taylor

Transfer the berries to a big bowl or a roasting pan and mash/crush the berries until in chunky form. The chunks of strawberries will make the jam even better.

berry
    MacKenzie Taylor

Measure out the berries and sugar and combine them in a large saucepan. Mix until well combined and let it sit for 10 mins.

MacKenzie Taylor

Mix water and pectin in a small saucepan and bring to boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling and stirring for 1 min.

tea, soup
    MacKenzie Taylor

Immediately add the pectin to the fruit and sugar mixture. Stir for 3 mins or until the sugar is almost dissolved and no longer grainy.

MacKenzie Taylor

Start filling the empty jars immediately within 1/2 inches to the top (I used a measuring cup but a funnel would also work). Wipe off the jars and screw on the lids. They must sit at room temp for a minimum of 24 hours before they can be frozen.

juice, tea
    MacKenzie Taylor

After they have sat for 24 hours the jam is ready to be eaten. Or they can be frozen for up to a year or in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. Thaw in the fridge before use.

gelatin, honey, jelly, marmalade, jam
    MacKenzie Taylor

This jam recipe is sure to change your life. It has changed mine in so many ways, not only has it given me amazing family memories you can make as well but it also saves so much money over the year. I'm a strawberry person, but if you are a fan of Raspberry Jam or want to be crazy and try Bacon Jam, don't worry, Spoon has you covered.  If you really want to be adventurous, here is an amazing article about 5 Ways to Eat Jam, Other than on Toast.