Getting ready to head back to school, brings up all the old questions about our daily routines. As the quarter goes on, I seem to get out of bed later and later. (I really only need five minutes to get ready in the morning, right?) This, of course, takes up precious breakfast time. In the past, I have resorted to instant oatmeal, but for all its convenience, that quick fix lacks flavor. This easy, cold oatmeal recipe usually takes less than five minutes to make and is an upgrade from the standard mixes. When paired with Greek yogurt and a smorgasbord of fresh fruit, this chilled oatmeal provides a refreshing and invigorating breakfast experience. I like to make mine with bananas, Granny Smith apples, and dried cranberries, but you can use whatever fruits tickle your fancy.

Easy

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: Overnight
Total time: One good night’s sleep and 5 minutes

Servings: 1

½ cup old fashioned oats, soaked in water overnight
2-3 hearty spoonfuls of plain Greek yogurt
½ banana, sliced or diced
¼ Granny Smith apple, diced
Handful of dried cranberries, raisins, or currants
A drizzle of honey

Directions:
1. The night before, put the oats in a bowl and pour in just enough water to cover all of the oats. Keep the bowl in the fridge overnight.
2. The next morning, check your oats. If there’s still a bit of water that didn’t soak in overnight, drain that out.
3. Combine the ingredients with the oats, starting with the yogurt. Stir it all together so you get a little bit of everything in each bite.

Swiss Oatmeal

Photo by Kerry Gibbons

Swiss Oatmeal

Photo by Kerry Gibbons

4. Enjoy and wonder why you ever ate hot oatmeal in the first place.

Swiss Oatmeal

Photo by Kerry Gibbons