No Thanksgiving table is complete without cranberry sauce, whether it be homemade, store bought or right out of the can, yet we neglect not only this tangy condiment but also whole cranberries throughout the year.

Pop these sour berries into your favorite quick bread or sweet breakfast or spread any form of the sauce on both sweet and savory dishes (I just had toast with goat cheese and cranberry sauce, if you’re too hungry to cook this is an acceptable alternative).

So stock up on whole cranberries while they’re still in grocery stores (I bet they’re even on sale now) and add a blast of sour to all your meals.

pancakes

Photo by Sarah Strong

I first had the combination of cranberries and walnuts in pancakes the morning after a Backstreet Boys concert in who-knows-where Massachusetts (second largest producer of cranberries in the US) and boy were they delicious.

When we ended up with an extra bag of cranberries after Thanksgiving I knew exactly what I was going to make. I didn’t mix the berries or nuts into the batter because I wasn’t sure it would work, but the cranberries easily got hot enough to soften while the pancakes cooked through. You can either mix the add ins directly into the batter or arrange them after you’ve put the batter into the pan—get creative!

I personally don’t mind if my pancakes are still a little doughy, but if you like yours well done wait until they are almost halfway cooked to add the cranberries and nuts so they won’t burn. Feel free to use your own favorite pancake recipe or even mix. I added a little extra sugar to counteract the sour cranberries, and these are definitely the kind of pancakes you want to drench in syrup.

Cranberry Walnut Pancakes

Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 12 min
Servings: 2-4

Medium

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 heaping tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 1/4 cups milk at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (plus more to grease the pan)
3-4 oz whole cranberries (1/4 to 1/3 of a bag)
Chopped walnuts

1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. In another bowl, beat the eggs then whisk in the milk and vanilla.
3. Whisk the melted butter into the milk mixture.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and whisk until a thick batter is just formed. If you want to add the cranberries and walnuts directly into the batter do so now.
5. Heat your pan over medium heat and grease with butter. Once hot, ladle about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. If you have not yet added the cranberries and walnuts arrange them on the batter now.
6. When bubbles break the surface of the pancake and the underside is golden, after about two minutes, flip with a spatula. Cook on the other side until it is also golden and the cranberries have popped. The cranberries will start to burn before the pancake is cooked through if the heat is too high. Repeat with the rest of the batter and enjoy!

pancakes

Photo by Sarah Strong

For more pancakes check out these recipes:

Crispy Edges, Fluffy Center: Baked Pancakes, Your New Favorite Breakfast

Hot Chocolate Pancake Stacks with Charred Marshmallows

Secret Ingredient Blueberry Pancakes