Chocolate always makes one helluva dessert, but if you’re in the mood for something sweet and fruity, don’t neglect your old friend Strawberry Shortcake.  Normally, strawberry shortcake recipes call for making an entire cake, but with a muffin tray, you can make individual cakes for the perfect single serving dessert.  The cakes are scone-like, dense but airy and not too sweet, and they serve as the ideal base for your strawberry and whipped cream toppings.  If you have leftover cakes in the morning, pop them into the microwave, spread with butter and strawberry jelly, and you have yourself a personal breakfast scone.

Level: Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Servings: 12 personal shortcakes

2 containers strawberries, stemmed and quartered
5 tablespoons sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Whipped cream

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, mix strawberries and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow strawberry juice to develop.  2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and salt.
4. Add heavy cream and mix until just combined.
5. Grease a muffin pan with non-stick spray and drop a dollop of dough into each muffin well.  6. Bake for about 15 minutes, until edges begin to brown. 7. Let cook in tray and transfer to plate.  Top with the sugared strawberries and whipped cream, as desired.