Squash and feta cheese—don’t knock it till you try it. The combination of butternut squash, feta, spinach, sunflower seeds and Parmesan might seem daunting, but the flavors of these muffins actually balance quite well. The ingredients are also relatively healthy, so you don’t get the usual post-muffin guilt from excess sugar. Best of all, while these guys are perfect additions to a Thanksgiving feast, they are also great year-round and even for breakfast. So go ahead, wow your Thanksgiving guests—or just yourself—with these one-of-a-kind goods.
Adapted from recipe here.

Medium

Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour (max.)
Servings: 16 muffins

3 cups 1/2 inch cubed butternut squash (or pumpkin)
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Just under 2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk (preferably whole, 2% works okay)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2/3 cup crumbled feta
1 cup spinach, chopped
Optional: 2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Liberally grease one cupcake pan. Have a loaf or second cupcake pan on hand because batter will slightly exceed a single-dozen muffins tin.
2. On a baking sheet, lightly salt, pepper and drizzle olive oil on the cubed squash. Bake until soft, about 20-25 minutes or if using frozen squash, according to package directions. Set aside to cool.

SPOON

Photo by Hayden Carder

3. Whisk flour, baking powder, ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper together in a large bowl.

SPOON_1

Photo by Hayden Carder

4. Whisk eggs, milk, olive oil and mustard in a separate medium-sized bowl.

SPOON_10

Photo by Hayden Carder

5. Stir kernels, Parmesan and ½ cup of feta (not all of it!) into the medium bowl with the wet ingredients.

SPOON_2

Photo by Hayden Carder

6. Fold ¾ of the squash and all of the spinach and parsley into the wet mixture.

SPOON_5

Photo by Hayden Carder

7. Then, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just incorporated.

SPOON_6

Photo by Hayden Carder

8. Fill the muffin tin with batter, but not to the brim in each cup. Top with remaining squash and feta.

SPOON_7

Photo by Hayden Carder

9. Bake 15-20 minutes, until muffins are set and golden. Let the muffins cool for a few minutes in the pan, then turn them out onto a cooling rack.

SPOON_8

Photo by Hayden Carder

And there you have it—a festive addition to your Thanksgiving table that will be an enjoyable surprise to Pilgrims and family members alike!

Need more squash in your life?

This Vegetarian’s Guide to Ingredients Will Get You Through Thanksgiving
Why You Should Be Cooking with Squash This Season
Four Spaghetti Squash Dishes You Need Right Now
How To Roast Squash
Butternut Squash Pasta