We all love a classic grilled cheese sandwich, with its buttery, toasted exterior and gooey interior, but it is time to take it up a notch. This recipe preserves all the cheesy goodness and comfort that we have grown-up with, and combines them with the deliciousness of spinach and artichoke dip to create a sandwich worthy of any hungry college student.

Medium

Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 20 min

Servings: 1

2 slices of sourdough bread (or whatever kind of bread you have available)
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 cup spinach
2-3 canned artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper

close up

Photo by Tess Wei

Directions:

1. Heat half of the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook about 5min.

2. Add spinach and artichokes and salt to taste. Cook until the spinach starts to wilt.

3. In a small bowl, combine the spinach and artichoke mixture with the ricotta and Parmesan cheese.

4. Put half of the mozzarella on one slice of bread. Then add the spinach and artichoke cheesy mixture, and top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Add the second slice of bread on top, and then butter the outside of the sandwich.

5. Place sandwich in a skillet over medium heat. Cover and let look for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.

6. Flip sandwich and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted.

Tip: The second side will likely cook faster, so watch closely to make sure you do not burn your sandwich.

Cropped sandwich final

Photo by Tess Wei