If you find yourself looking for a salty snack the next time you are at Collis, don’t reach for the chips—hit up the chickpeas. With only 4 ingredients, an oven and 35 minutes, you can bake yourself an entire pan of extremely filling, protein-packed, spicy, crisped little chickpeas. Flavor and texture-wise, they’re what I imagine the love-child of corn-nuts and cajun fries would taste like. A little crunchy, a little chewy, a little spicy and very tasty. All of the ingredients can be found at Collis and the spice/oil/salt ratio can be adjusted to your liking. On top of that, they are super easy to make and don’t require any cooking supplies other than an oven and a baking sheet.

Easy

Prep Time: Less than 5 minutes
Cook Time: About 30 minutes, depending on desired crunchiness
Total Time: About 35 minutes

Servings: 4

About 1 cup of chickpeas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less if you’d like)
Any spices you’d like to add (I used 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon pepper  and 1 teaspoon chili powder)

Directions:

1. Toss the chickpeas, olive oil, salt, and spices in a bowl or container. Tip: You can use the same plastic clamshell container they came in from Collis.

2. Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.

3. Evenly spread chickpeas out on a medium-sized baking sheet. I recommend covering it with aluminum foil for an easy clean up.

Spicy Oven-Crisped Chickpeas

Photo by Mulin Xiong

4. Bake for 30 minutes or until desired crispiness has been achieved.

Spicy Oven-Crisped Chickpeas

Photo by Mulin Xiong

5. Let cool for 2-3 minutes and enjoy!

Spicy Oven-Crisped Chickpeas

Photo by Mulin Xiong