When you hear “mint julep,” most think horse races, preppy dresses, and obnoxious derby-esque hats. Or, if you’re my father, you think mint juleps means you’re somewhere sweating your ass off. While neither thought is exactly wrong, this new take on the classic mint julep stands on its own enough that it deserves a clean slate in terms of character associations.

While the drink is labeled as “medium” in difficulty, it’s quite easy for anyone who knows how to use a blender, simmer water, and measure. In comparison to your typical cocktail however, this mint julep is much more cooking intensive—hence the rating. Also, it is worth noting the drink is a double, so drink gingerly.

Sparkling Ginger Mint Julep

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:25 minutes

• 2 cup water
  • 2 cup turbinado or white sugar
  • 32 oz bourbon
  • 1 cup roughly chopped mint leaves
  • 16 sprigs fresh mint leaves for garnish
  • 8 cup ice
  • 24 oz ginger beer
Photo by Jacqueline O'Reilly

Add the water, sugar, and 1/2 cup of the roughly chopped mint to a sauce pan. Heat until sugar is dissolved.

Photo by Jacqueline O'Reilly

Pour the hot simple syrup into a large bowl. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of roughly chopped mint, stir, and allow the syrup to cool.

Photo by Jacqueline O'Reilly

Strain out the mint leaves from the syrup when fully cooled.

Photo by Jacqueline O'Reilly

Put the ice in a blender and blend until fine.

Photo by Jacqueline O'Reilly

Muddle the leaves of a sprig of mint in a glass.

Photo by Jacqueline O'Reilly

Add 4 oz of bourbon to each of your eight glasses, and pour in 1/4 cup of the mint simple syrup.

Photo by Jacqueline O'Reilly

Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of crushed ice to each glass, splash with 3 oz ginger beer (or to taste), and add a mint sprig for garnish.

#SpoonTip: If you can’t find ginger beer, ginger ale is an good substitution.

Photo by Jacqueline O'Reilly