As school gets more stressful and Thanksgiving approaches, I have started to feel pretty homesick. So clearly I must use food to fill the void. Nothing reminds me of home more than slow cooker applesauce. It makes me feel like a child again and tastes like my mom’s homemade apple pie (with the upside of being sugar-free).

Unfortunately, store-bought applesauce always seems to let me down. It just doesn't pack enough fresh apple taste to make me feel warm and cozy inside. Applesauce is just one of those foods that tastes infinitely better when made at home.

But having to watch a pot of cooking apples for 30 minutes would only increase my stress. Thankfully, someone invented slow cookers. Just chuck some apples, water, and spices into the slow cooker. By the time you get home from class, you will have a slow cooker applesauce that will take you right back to your childhood.

Slow Cooker Spiced Applesauce

• Cook Time:3 hrs
  • Total Time:3 hrs 15 mins

• 5 large apples any kind
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • pinch nutmeg optional
  • pinch cloves optional
apple, juice, cider, sweet
Lexi Nickens

Dice apples (I used Fuji) into 0.5 inch chunks.

#SpoonTip: For a smoother applesauce, peel the apples and cut them into even smaller pieces.

vegetable, cheese
    Lexi Nickens

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a slow cooker.

bacon, beans
    Lexi Nickens

Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours.

Puree the apple sauce in a blender or food processor.

#SpoonTip: If you don't have a blender or food processor, just use a fork to crush the bigger pieces.

sweet
    Lexi Nickens