Mug cakes are all the rage nowadays. A dollop of Nutella in one, a swirl of peanut butter in another: Suddenly, you have the perfect date night, with Friends running on Netflix in the background. But sometimes, you just want to treat yo’self. And as much as your taste buds are craving that slice of cheesecake doused in whipped cream from The Cheesecake Factory, the one-and-a-half hour drive to the nearest one just ain’t gonna cut it.

You open your cupboard and find a half-eaten pack of Oreos leftover from a late night study session a few days ago. You know you have some cream cheese in the fridge, too. It’s supposed to be for bagels only, but you can make an exception, right? That’s right, it’s cheesecake making time.

Easy

Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

Servings: 1

4 tablespoons cream cheese

2 tablespoons sour cream

2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 egg

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

2-3 Oreos

1. Grease the inside of a microwave-safe mug (both interior sides and bottom). In a small bowl, whisk egg. Then add cream cheese, yogurt, sugar and vanilla. Using a small whisk or fork, mix until batter is smooth.

_MG_1103

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

3. Place an Oreo at the bottom of the mug. Top with half of the cheesecake batter. Place another Oreo in the mug on top of the existing batter. Pour the rest of the batter on top.

_MG_1110

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

5. Cover top of mug with a paper towel or napkin and microwave for 1 minute. Mug cake should be mostly cooked except center.

_MG_1111

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

6. Pause to check on it, then microwave for another 20 seconds. Stop again, and microwave for another 20 seconds. Then microwave for one final round of 20 seconds (That’s a total of 2 minutes in the microwave for those of your counting at home). Cake should be completely cooked. Gently slide cheesecake out of the mug onto a plate. Flip on to second plate.

_MG_1106

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

7. Let cake cool in refrigerator for 2-3 minutes. Break the last Oreo into halves for garnish.

_MG_1118

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

For more quick and easy mug recipes, check out these recipes: