Pandan, for those of you who don't know, is a plant whose leaves are used extensively in Asian cooking and provides a really unique flavour. Pandan cakes usually use a chiffon-style cake, but these are a bit trickier (and messier), so I've made it simpler and cleaner, without giving up on flavour by creating these pandan cupcakes.

#SpoonTip: Make sure to best quality pandan flavouring you can find to get the fullest flavour possible.

Pandan Cupcakes

• 3 eggs
  • 6oz caster sugar
  • 6oz self-raising flour
  • 12oz margarine
  • 9oz icing sugar
  • 7 teaspoons pandan flavouring
  • 3 teaspoons green food colouring
buttercream, cake, cheese, cream, cream cheese, lemon
Thomas Martin

Preheat the oven oven on gas mark 5 / 190ºC and get all of your ingredients ready.

beer, cake
    Thomas Martin

Cream together the caster sugar and 6oz margarine.

ice cream, dairy product, milk, sweet, cream, ice
    Thomas Martin

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs.

cake
    Thomas Martin

Slowly stir in the eggs and the flour a little bit at a time until it is well mixed. Add the pandan flavouring and mix in.

dairy product, milk, dough, cream, flour
    Thomas Martin

Put in the oven for about 25 mins – be sure to check on them after 20 mins. When ready (you will be able to tell by stabbing it with a knife in the middle – if the knife comes out sticky it needs more time), take out of the oven and leave to cool. Now whilst the cake is cooking and cooling you can get the icing ready.

cupcake, chocolate
    Thomas Martin

Sift the icing sugar (this is very important). Mix together the icing sugar with the remaining 6oz margarine and green food colouring. Get an icing bag ready with a star nozzle attachment. Then add the icing mixture to the bag. Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes aiming to make a swirl on each.

cheese, milk, cream cheese, sweet, cream
    Thomas Martin