What could be more comforting during the harsh winter months than a delicious, home-cooked, cheesy, gooey, savory lasagna? I'll answer that one for you: nothing.

There's a reason lasagna has persisted in the hearts of many comfort food fiends, and with the resurgence of the vegan and anti-meat movement, lasagna has fallen to the wayside. But when the thermometer drops and the fleece blankets come out, is a salad going to stick to your ribs the way cheesy goodness does? Unfortunately, no. 

Upon first glance, this recipe may seem a bit overwhelming, but don't be fooled, I promise you can do it. You basically put everything into a pot and wait until it all melds together in a beautifully made lasagna. Although this isn't your traditional recipe, this dish is delicious nonetheless and is sure to impress even the snootiest of your foodie friends. Also, it's super meat-lover friendly. 

I implore you, my coziness-seeking, hibernating friends, turn on your fireplaces, grab your fleece blankets and cuddle up with a delicious slice of homemade lasagna. 

Meaty Lasagna

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 30 mins

• 3 pounds ground beef
  • 1 pound hot Italian sausage
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 3 cans whole tomatoes
  • 18oz tomato paste
  • 3 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 3 tablespoons dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 1/2 cups cottage cheese
  • 3/4 cup grated parmesan
  • 3 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 pounds mozzarella cheese
  • 1 package lasagna noodles
cheese, sauce, pizza
Julia Melton

To make the sauce, place the sausage, ground beef, and garlic in a large pot, and cook until evenly browned. If you're feeling healthy-ish, drain at least half the fat.

bratwurst, chorizo, salami, meat, beef, pork, sausage
    Julia Melton

Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, parsley, basil, and salt. Then, simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. At this point, you should also bring a really, really big pot of water to a boil and salt it. Once the water is boiling, cook the noodles according to package instructions.

tomato
    Julia Melton

While the sauce is simmering away, prepare the filling. Combine the cottage cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese, parsley, and salt, and stir until well mixed together.

vegetable, cheese, blue cheese
    Julia Melton

Once all the components are ready, it's time for assembly. Starting with a layer of pasta, lay the noodles flat into a large casserole dish. Then, spread the cheese mixture evenly over the noodles. Follow with slices of mozzarella, then top it with a layer of meat sauce. Continue this until you've reached the top of your dish, and finish with the meat sauce and a generous topping of grated parmesan.

Julia Melton

Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, and let cool before eating. This lasagna can be frozen and reheated for a lazy comforting dinner, and lasts in the fridge for about a week.

cheese, sauce, pizza
    Julia Melton

Okay, I'll admit it, this is definitely not the healthiest recipe you could make. But hey, you had to break those unrealistic New Year's resolutions at some point, and trust me, this recipe is SO worth it. I mean, half of it is basically just different kinds of cheeses. 

Besides, everything is fine in moderation, so cut yourself a hunk of this gooey lasagna and grab a side salad. Maybe use low-fat cottage cheese and throw in some veggies if you're into that kind of thing: the beauty of lasagna is its customizability. 

Or, you could just eat the whole thing, who am I to judge?