As a broad from Atlanta, I would like to personally congratulate our very own Gucci Mane for arguably being one of few people to have had a good 2016. Not only was he released early from prison, he put out two chart topping albums, was cloned, toured, and proposed to his girlfriend with a rock worth more than my college tuition.

In spite of all his recent wins, Gucci is probably best known for this sage advice, imparted upon us many years ago, “If you ain’t got no sauce, then you lost... but you can also get lost in the sauce.”

While we all relish “The Return of The East Atlanta Santa,” allow me to share three simple, vegan-friendly sauce recipes that are sure to add some “guwop” to any dish.

Creamy Cashew Sauce

• Prep Time:2 hrs
  • Total Time:2 hrs 3 mins

• 1 cup raw cashews
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 teaspoon a savory herb such as thyme sage or rosemary
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste
garlic, salt
Raigon Wilson

Let the cashews soak in the water for a few hours. Then throw all the ingredients into a blender until smooth. And enjoy!

Serve over roasted veggies, on a sandwich, use it as a dip - this robust sauce is mad versatile. 

Tangy Avocado Sauce

• Prep Time:0

• 1 medium avocado
  • 1 lemon juiced
  • 1 teaspoon EVOO
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste
Raigon Wilson

Just throw it all (sans avocado pit and lemon seeds) into a blender. When it’s all creamy and tasty looking, toss the sauce with pasta as a marinara/alfredo alternative.

Quick and Easy Mole Sauce

• Prep Time:0

• 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon chile powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 tablespoon water or broth
  • 2 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 lime juiced
Raigon Wilson

Simply combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over low heat.

Stirring occasionally, let the sauce simmer for about five minutes so the flavors can develop. Then done!

If you’re like me and are always short on time and cooking supplies, then this faux-le (hehe, get it?) is the perfect substitute for that traditionally labor intensive sauce. The first time I made it, I served it over a portobello mushroom and polenta, but this sauce would add heartiness to any protein.

These sauces are an instant hit, much like Gucci’s bars. They taste so good, I won’t judge you if you get a little lost.