Since the holidays are officially over, it's safe to say we all may be suffering from post-celebration food hangovers. I know I definitely fell victim to engorging myself full of holiday treats. But how does one get over a food hangover? There's an expression called "hair of the dog," which means that the cure for what ails you is what got you sick in the first place. So that means, if I do my calculations just right, if I have a cake hangover the cure from my hangover is to eat more cake! Whoa, science is fun. 

Talk about a food hangover...

I was inspired to come up with this recipe by researching all the boozy cakes and treats on the Internet... OK, it was mostly Pinterest, but I did do some great research!

I knew I wanted to include booze, and naturally rum came to mind—because rum is tequila's dark-spiced cousin who doesn't make you think you can dance or sing like Adele. Trust me, I know from personal experience. Rum more or less makes your entire face go numb, and before you know it your shlurrinng yurwurdz n yurtryyn to shleepp... And then the rum is gone. Why's the rum always gone?

Since I'm an aspiring Martha Stewart I love to try new recipes and improvise on my own. I knew I wanted to incorporate dark-spiced rum with traditional spiced cake mix. By adding some hot milk to the mix, it makes for a super moist and fluffy cake. It's easy, a little boozy, but will have your friends and family craving it 24/7.   

So for all of you foodies and eaties out there who may still be suffering from a food hangover, have no fear! This hair of the dog cake is the food hangover remedy that you've always needed.

Hair of the Dog Cake

• 1 box spiced cake mix
  • 4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
  • 2 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 stick butter unsalted
  • 2 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 cup rum
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
bread, pastry, candy, cake, chocolate, sweet
Photo by Rachel Gramuglia

Start with your favorite cake mix. (You can totally make the cake from scratch, but to save some time, I used boxed spice cake mix.)

Gif by Rachel Gramuglia

In a separate bowl, mix your sugar, eggs, and egg yolk together until incorporated. The mixture will become a bright yellow as you mix.

Gif by Rachel Gramuglia

Add your egg and sugar mixture to you cake mix bowl, mix until well combined. The batter will be thick and a bit sticky.

Gif by Rachel Gramuglia

In a sauce pan, simmer the butter and whole milk. Let this mixture bead (when small bubbles start to form around the edge of the saucepan), but do not let it come to a rolling bubble—you don't want to make cheese!

Gif by Rachel Gramuglia

Once the milk and butter boil for a bit, remove from heat and add the rum and vanilla extract.

Gif by Rachel Gramuglia

Add your hot milk mixture to your cake batter bowl. It looks a little scary at first, but as you mix, you'll find the batter will thin out and look extra smooth and delicious.

Gif by Rachel Gramuglia

You can use any baking pan you want, I'm a personal find of the bundt pan. Prep your pan with either butter and flour or some good ol' Baker's Joy. Bake the cake at 350° with 30 minutes.

Gif by Rachel Gramuglia

For the (optional) icing/glaze for this cake, I wanted some extra dazzle, so I mixed 1/4 cup of rum, 1/4 cup of heavy cream, 1 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and 1 stick of butter (melted) to make this sexy glaze.

Gif by Rachel Gramuglia

Cut it up and serve it either warm or room temperature! I think it's best served warm!

Gif by Rachel Gramuglia