There may be mixed feelings concerning the addition of Frontera Fresco at Norris, but there is one consensus: Frontera is expensive. Despite the fact that Rick Bayless incorporates many organic and local produce items into his cuisine, some might argue that Frontera is not a particularly healthy choice as many of the dishes on the menu are still high in calories. This baked version of the Mushroom Trio Quesadilla is just as flavorful, and arguably, healthier — plus it only costs $2.82 per serving to make at home (compared to $7.50 to buy at Norris).
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
2 whole wheat tortillas
2 ½ cups mix of baby portobello, shiitake and cremini mushrooms, sliced (shiitake and cremini optional)
1/2 poblano pepper, finely diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 avocado, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
3. Add mushrooms and sauté for approximately 4 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to soften and shrink.
4. As mushrooms are cooking, dice poblano pepper and mince garlic. Add to pan and sauté for an additional 90 seconds then remove from heat.
5. Sprinkle chili powder and sea salt onto mushroom mixture and toss lightly until evenly coated.
6. Lay the wheat tortillas on the lined baking sheet.
7. Spoon the mushroom mixture onto half of each tortilla. Sprinkle cheese over the mushrooms.
8. Fold tortillas over so you have two half-circles. Bake for 12 minutes.
9. Cut in half after baking. Garnish with avocado slices.