This year for Thanksgiving it was just my mom and me. We didn't want to make a turkey and all the sides for just the two of us, so we decided to try a roasted red pepper sauce to go with cheese ravioli. This recipe was fun to make and tasted delicious. You can make the sauce, serve it, and then either freeze the leftovers or keep it in the fridge for other uses. I'm finding every excuse to make it again. 

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

• 6 large bell peppers orange and red
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 1/4 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste
tomato, shrimp, cheese, pasta, ravioli, sauce, tortellini
Katie Stotts

Preheat broiler. Cut the peppers in half and remove all of the seeds. Next, lightly coat the peppers in olive oil. Then put the peppers in a pan right side up and grill peppers in broiler until the majority of the skin is black and the pepper is slightly softened. After that, place them in paper bag or bowl with a tight lid and let them cool for 45 minutes.

orange
    Katie Stotts

After they are cool, remove the skin from the peppers and cut into small pieces.

sweet, salmon
    Katie Stotts

In a skillet, cook and stir in the garlic, basil, and red peppers in 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Let it cook for about 10 minutes so that all the flavors mix.

vegetable, red pepper, basil, salad, tomato, pepper
    Katie Stotts

Once you have all the flavors mixed, place the mixture in a blender or food processor. Puree the mixture to your desired consistency.

tomato
    Katie Stotts

Next, take the puree back to the skillet and reheat to a boil. Once at a boil, stir in the half-and-half and cheese. Start off only pouring 1/2 of half-and-half, depending on your taste preferences you might not need the whole 2 cups.

sauce
    Katie Stotts

Cook and stir until the cheese melts. Then add the butter and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer for 5 minutes. I seasoned mine with some crushed red pepper flakes to enhance the pepper flavor.

garlic, dairy product, bread, soup, vegetable, cream
    Katie Stotts

Finally, add it to your favorite pasta and dig in!

Katie Stotts