There are about as many variations on a hamburger as there are Starbucks in Manhattan—it’s ridiculous. A fried egg or interesting cheese are great twists on a classic, but it’s time to start thinking outside of the bun. Literally.

A burger is so much more than a patty with condiments, and restaurants like Ramen Burger in Brooklyn have been reinventing the bun with great success. Not only does a different bun give a new texture, but it also allows for exploration into flavor like never before. This burger draws inspiration from Asian flavors featuring a pork patty, Sriracha mayo and crispy rice bun.

Medium

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes

Servings: 1

Rice Bun:
½ cup short-grain white rice
1 cup water
1 tablespoon corn starch
½ tablespoon white sesame seeds
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Plastic wrap

Burger:
½ pound ground pork
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Sriracha
1 tablespoon corn starch
Lettuce

Sriracha Mayonnaise:
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Sriracha

Rice Burger

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

1. Wash the rice under cold water in a colander.

Rice Burger

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

2. Place rice and water in a pot and bring to a boil over high heat.

3. Reduce to a simmer on low heat and cover for 25-30 minutes, until cooked through.

4. While the rice cooks, combine the burger ingredients in a bowl and mix, but do not overwork the meat.

Rice Burger

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

5. Form a patty and cook in a pan on medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. Set aside and let rest.

Rice Burger

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

6. Make the Sriracha mayonnaise by combining the two ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate.

7. Combine the cooked rice with the cornstarch and sesame seeds. Mix so that each grain is coated with starch.

8. Divide the rice in half and place on two pieces of plastic wrap.

Rice Burger

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

9. Fold the wrap over and form into two equal size disks. Apply a good amount of pressure to ensure that the bun does not fall apart.

10. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a pan on high heat and cook the rice for 2 minutes on each side.

11. Assemble the burger, topping it with the Sriracha mayonnaise and lettuce.

Rice Burger

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

JB2HU87ff5btiwkT2NSxW7ii-XZ-8VrZUVNrd16I_q4

Do you even burger, bro? Then here are some more awesome articles for you: