Easter food seems to come in one of two kinds. Either it’s super literal — you eat lamb because the Lamb of God is risen — or super random — you bite the ears off giant chocolate rabbits, because … chocolate, and spring, and stuff. The good news? You can have the best of both worlds. These resurrection rolls take the symbolism of literal Easter dishes and jazz it up with tasty sugar, which is a great expansion of the Easter candy food group.

The premise is simple: a buttery, cinnamony marshmallow cocooned in flaky crescent roll dough. But when you bake this promising combination, magic happens. The marshmallow melts into the dough, making it airy and sugary. What’s left? A bite-sized roll that’s completely hollow.

The way I learned it, the crescent roll represents Jesus’ tomb and the marshmallow represents the Big Man himself. On Good Friday, Jesus’ body was placed in the tomb, which is represented by wrapping the marshmallow in dough. But three days later, on Sunday, his followers discovered his body was missing, because he had risen — this is represented by the hollow finished product. Whether you celebrate Easter or are simply a sucker for sugary baked goods, you’re bound to fall in love with this super-simple dessert.

Easy

Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 25 min

Servings: 8

1 can (10 oz) refrigerated crescent rolls
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
8 large marshmallows

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless

1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Open crescent rolls and separate into individual triangles.

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless

3. In a small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar.

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless

4. In another small bowl, melt butter in microwave.

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless

5. Dip a marshmallow in melted butter.

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless

6. Roll buttered marshmallow in cinnamon sugar.

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless

7. Place marshmallow in the center of a crescent roll dough triangle. Roll marshmallow up in the dough, making sure to pinch the seams together as firmly as possible. Otherwise, the marshmallow will leak out during baking.

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless

8. Place finished roll on greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining marshmallows and dough triangles.

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless

9. Brush remaining butter on top of rolls, and dust with some of the remaining cinnamon sugar.

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless

10. Bake for 10 min. If the marshmallow starts to leak out, don’t worry — it will taste the same and you can soak the pan to get the goo off later.

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless

11. Remove from oven and scoop rolls off the pan as soon as possible. Allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless

12. Your dessert is done — and hollow! It’s an Easter miracle.

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

rolls

Photo by Lyla Lawless, Design by Shira Beder

Still have the Easter munchies? Check out these festive treats: