Cheese cravings; we’ve all been there. But what do you do when you need your fix and don’t have time to get to the grocery store?  Well, fellow curd nerds, we have your solution. This simple cheese can be made in just 30 minutes with nothing but three ingredients and a white t-shirt. The result is a soft cheese that doesn’t have a very strong flavor, but it’s perfect in lasagna, on bread or just by itself.

Easy

Prep Time: Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

1 gallon milk
1 lemon, juiced (or 1/4 cup lemon juice or white vinegar)
a pinch of salt

cheese

Photo courtesy of Parsa Lotfi.

1. Pour the milk into a large pot and stir in a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally to keep the milk from scorching.

2. Once the milk begins to boil, or reaches 190°F, turn off the heat. Stir lemon juice into the milk and let curdle for 10 minutes.

cheese

Photo courtesy of Parsa Lotfi.

3. Line a colander with cheesecloth or a clean, white T-shirt. Pour the milk into the lined colander to catch the curds. Let all the excess liquid (whey) drain out. Massage cheesecloth to pack the cheese and remove the last drippings of whey.

cheese

Photo courtesy of Parsa Lotfi.

_MG_8929

4. Photo courtesy of Parsa Lotfi.

4. What you have now is a simple cheese! Let it cool for a few minutes and then wrap in plastic or store in an airtight container and refrigerate. It will keep for about 3-4 days.

_MG_8933

Photo courtesy of Parsa Lotfi.

For more flavor, add your favorite herbs and spices along with the lemon juice. This recipe also typically works best with farm-fresh milk. Support your local dairy farmers!

More Cheesy Goodness:

More Cheese, Please

Ram n’ Cheese

Cheese 101