Recently, there has been major hype about red wine and its health benefits due to a study published in The Journal of Physiology. One article suggests it is equivalent to an hour at the gym. Here’s the key facts about the study:

Red Wine

Photo by Mikaela Kearns

Resveratrol is found in red wine and it seems to be at the center of all this excitement.

This antioxidant protects blood vessels, prevents blood clots and decreases LDL (bad) cholesterol. BUT this compound is not only found in red wine, numerous foods contain resveratrol. Such as, pistachios, peanuts, red grapes and blueberries.

The study was conducted on rats.

Certain articles seem to leave this fact out. The rats were fed a diet with the compound resveratrol added in… they were not given red wine to drink. But the researchers are planning a study looking into the compounds effect on humans with diabetes.

Sources containing resveratrol should be used as a supplement to exercise.

The findings from this study show that resveratrol is most effective as an ergogenic aid; to be used in conjunction with exercise to improve physical performance. If I were you, I wouldn’t throw my gym shoes out just yet.

Red Wine

Photo by Mikaela Kearns

Resveratrol could mimic exercise for those who are unable to.

The principle investigator, Jason Dyck, says, “I think resveratrol could help patient populations who want to exercise but are physically incapable. Resveratrol could mimic exercise for them or improve the benefits of the modest amount of exercise that they can do.”

Red wine can provide your body with Resveratrol but always drink in moderation.

For the full journal article click here.
For more information on resveratrol click here.

You might also enjoy: