Breakfast, yes; mornings, no. I never have been, I'm not now, nor will I ever be a morning person no matter if I get 4 or 10 hours of sleep. I do really like breakfast, though. It makes me feel fueled for the morning, and let’s be real; breakfast food is the best kind of food. However, working two jobs this summer has caused me to put my favorite meal on the back burner so that I don’t show up to the office looking homeless. Finding a quick and easy breakfast seemed impossible!!

Anyone else dealing with a similar dilemma? Lucky for you, I’ve found the perfect solution! This recipe for egg muffins is easy, healthy, and can be made in advance so they’re ready for you in the morning, and the hassle of breakfast is eliminated.

Egg Muffins

• 1tbs. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup onion finely diced
  • 2 cups fresh spinach
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 6 eggs
  • 3 slices turkey bacon cooked and chopped
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese shredded
  • 1 tbs. milk
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
pizza, egg, cheddar, cheese, spinach, bacon
Maddie Hinderstein

Preheat oven to 350°. In a sauté pan, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook for about 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2-3 more minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.

vegetable, lettuce, salad, spinach
    Maddie Hinderstein

In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and the cheese. Season with the salt and pepper. Add the spinach mixture and the bacon and stir until well combined.

Maddie Hinderstein

Either use a silicone muffin pan or spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray. Evenly distribute the egg mixture amongst each muffin tin. Fill ¾ of the way. (If using a 12-cavity tin, fill the empty cavities about a ¼ of the way with water.) Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges become golden brown. **Note: The bacon sinks to bottom of cup, so make sure it gets evenly distributed**

vegetable, corn
    Maddie Hinderstein

Store leftovers in the fridge. To reheat, stick in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds.

bacon, cheddar, cheese
    Maddie Hinderstein

This easy breakfast has made my mornings much less stressful. I usually like to pair one of the muffins with a banana or a protein bar so I don't get hungry throughout the morning!