Pumpkin seeds have always served as a great topping for soup, salad, and yogurt, but have you ever tried it as a spreadable butter? You might be skeptical at first because the green seed does create a funky colored spread, but don't write it off just yet. 

Pumpkin seeds are full of nutritional benefits, such as being packed with zinc, iron, magnesium, and antioxidants. Pumpkin seeds also serve as a great natural source of protein, which allows you to stay fuller for longer periods of time. Lastly, this pumpkin seed butter is a great substitute for people who are allergic to various nuts. 

Since this pumpkin seed butter can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for up to one month, you'll have plenty of time to try this spread on many different things. This seed butter can serve as a great topping on toast, dipped in veggies, or by the spoonful. When you're in the mood for a sweeter seed butter, you can add in some maple syrup, vanilla extract, and/or cinnamon.

Creamy Pumpkin Seed Butter

• 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
tea, coffee, milk
Caroline Alexander

Preheat oven to 400°F.

beer
    Caroline Alexander

Bake seeds for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.

vegetable, cereal, herb, alfalfa sprouts
    Caroline Alexander

Remove and let seeds cool for 15-20 minutes.

cereal, pasture, wheat
    Caroline Alexander

Combine all ingredients and blend together until the desired consistency is reached.

#SpoonTip: You can use a blender or a food processor

coffee, chocolate
    Caroline Alexander

Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator (in an air tight container).

tea
    Caroline Alexander

Enjoy!

toast, bread, wheat, sweet, cereal, rye
    Caroline Alexander