Fall is in the air. The leaves are turning, the temperature is dropping, and, most importantly, pumpkins are back on everyone’s radar. Whether in the form of jack-o-lanterns or cliché Starbucks lattes, pumpkins are taking over for the time being once again.

Although I’m all for hopping on the pumpkin bandwagon, I urge you to broaden your horizons when it comes to your fall-themed recipes. With all the Halloween and soon-to-come Thanksgiving gatherings looming, everyone and his brother is scrambling for easy, unique recipes that will wow their friends and family. And I guarantee, this pumpkin crunch recipe will put you way ahead of the game

Pumpkin Crunch Pie

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 10 mins

• 1 29 oounce can pumpkin
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 teaspoon pumpkin spice
  • A dash cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • Chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup melted butter about 2 sticks
  • Cool Whip for the frosting
Kaliko Zabala-Moore

Pre-heat oven to 350°. Line your 9x13 pan with butter and parchment paper. Mix first 7 ingredients listed and pour into 9x13 baking dish.

coffee, cream, milk, chocolate, sweet
    Kaliko Zabala-Moore

Empty one box yellow cake mix evenly on top of pumpkin mixture.

milk, dairy product, coffee, salt, cream
    Kaliko Zabala-Moore

Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.

sweet, cinnamon
    Kaliko Zabala-Moore

Drizzle 1 cup melted butter on top (2 sticks).

sweet, pastry, cake, flour, dough, bread, cookie, wheat
    Kaliko Zabala-Moore

Bake for 55-60 minutes until a darker, golden color. Cool completely in the fridge. Plot twist—the crust is on the top. Flip it over. Place frosting on top, powder a light coat of cinnamon, and refrigerate again.

cream, dairy product, cake, chocolate, sweet, pastry, pie, whipped cream
    Kaliko Zabala-Moore

Serve cool and keep leftovers refrigerated. Eat half the pan before you get a chance to share with anyone else.