It's that time of year again. Holidays come around, and you are totally ready to put on a couple of pounds. We all know the feeling. Sometimes the problem is just figuring out which holiday pie you're going to fill your plate with (probably more than once).

Well, look no further, because you have just stumbled upon the best of both worlds, people. This pumpkin apple pie recipe combines two classic favorites into one bite that is bursting with fall flavor. 

Pumpkin Apple Pie

• Total Time:1 hr 20 mins

• Pie Shell:
  • 2 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • Pumpkin Pie Portion:
  • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 3/4 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Pumpkin pie spice optional
  • Apple Pie Portion:
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Nutmeg
  • 3 cup apples peeled and chopped

Preheat the oven to 375, and gather the ingredients.

apple, pasture, juice, sweet, vegetable
    Melanie Bertolino

Prep pie crust by adding flour, butter, water, and sugar to food processor. Mix until a dough is formed. Store dough in refrigerator.

ice, ice cream, cream
    Melanie Bertolino

Peel the apples.

dairy product, vegetable, egg, deviled eggs
    Melanie Bertolino

Chop apples into cubes or slices. Cubes tend to make for an easier bite in the pie.

candy, marshmallow
    Melanie Bertolino

Add apples to a sauce pan on medium heat, and add cinnamon and nutmeg, butter, water, salt, and brown sugar. Cook for about 10 minutes until the apples are slightly softened.

cereal, vegetable, corn, meat
    Melanie Bertolino

Get ready to start the pumpkin pie portion.

sweet, jam
    Melanie Bertolino

In a mixing bowl, add the pumpkin purée, evaporated milk, sugar, egg, cinnamon, salt, and apple pie spice. Mix until smooth.

egg, sweet
    Melanie Bertolino

Remove the crust dough from the refrigerator and warm it up by pressing it all together into a ball with your hands. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin.

Melanie Bertolino

Place the dish you are going to cook the pie in over the crust and cut around it so that the crust will cover the whole bottom of the pan.

Melanie Bertolino

Place the crust dough into the pan.

milk, cream, dairy product
    Melanie Bertolino

Pour the apples from the sauce pan over the crust until it is just below the level of the edge of the pan.

cereal, vegetable
    Melanie Bertolino

Carefully pour the pumpkin mixture over the apple mixture, stopping before it overflows the pan.

pumpkin, pie, mango, sweet
    Melanie Bertolino

Roll out the leftover dough, and cut out shapes with fun fall cookie cutters to decorate the top of the pie.

Melanie Bertolino

Get to decorating.

cake, cheesecake
    Melanie Bertolino

Put pie in the 375 degree oven for 50 minutes, let cool, and enjoy!

Whether served by itself or topped with ice cream, this pie will please your guests, family, friends, or even just yourself. Thanksgiving traditions are traditions for a reason; they are majorly delicious. Mix and match your traditional desserts, and keep the holidays exciting with a pumpkin apple pie this season.