Planning a brunch menu is no easy feat. After you've exhausted the usual contenders of eggs, sausage and pancakes, what more can you add to the brunch game? Enter puff pancakes. A cross between an egg bake and a pancake, this unique take on a classic Dutch pannekoeken goes way back for my family.

Every Sunday after church, my mom would whip this up this delicacy for the family to enjoy, expertly whisking the batter and crafting a fruit sauce. I would sit in front of the oven as it cooked, watching the mixture rise and earn its name of "puff" pancake. Many years later, I still find the smell of puff pancake comforting and reminiscent of my mom's kitchen. I hope that puff pancake pleases your family as much as it does mine!

P.S. If you're in the Minneapolis area, the Pannekoeken Huis serves traditional Dutch-style pannekoeken. 

Puff Pancake

• 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 3/8 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1/8 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
cheesecake, sauce, blackberry, blueberry
Hailey Almsted

Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease a 10" fry pan, a round cake pan or a 10x6" glass pan with butter.

ice, tea
    Camille Balhorn

In a bowl, whisk eggs. Then add milk, sugar, flour and salt and mix until blended.

cake mix, sweet, pastry, cream, batter, dairy product, milk, bread, egg, dough, flour
    Hailey Almsted

Pour mixture into the pan.

sweet, milk, cream, dairy product
    Hailey Almsted

Bake for about 22 minutes or until the center is set (check by putting a knife in the center – it should come out clean).

cake
    Hailey Almsted

While the puff pancake is baking, make the blueberry sauce. Start by washing and crushing the blueberries in a bowl.

sweet, juniper berry, bilberry, pasture, blueberry, berry
    Hailey Almsted

Add sugar, lemon juice and salt. Mix well and pour mixture into a saucepan.

tea
    Hailey Almsted

Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Boil 1 minute, and add the vanilla.

red wine, coffee, tea, wine
    Camille Balhorn

Pour the warm blueberry sauce over the puff pancake and enjoy!

sauce, cheesecake, blueberry
    Hailey Almsted