For some, pizza rolls bring back memories of epic after-school snacking. For the college student that knows a thing or two about drunk eating, it’s the thing you reach for to satisfy any late-night craving. But even the biggest freezer food fanatic has to grow up.

Pizza rolls are not exactly a food that you can justify as an adult, but you can make your own for a cheaper, tastier and more impressive treat that’s nostalgic and nutritious.

Medium

Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes

Servings: 18

1 ½ cup flour
½ cup water
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ lb hot Italian sausage
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
¼ lb pepperoni
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Directions:

pizza rolls

Photo by Benjamin Martin

1. Combine the flour, water, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Add a little more water if it’s too dry.

pizza rolls

Photo by Benjamin Martin

2. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.

pizza rolls

Photo by Benjamin Martin

3. In a pan, heat up some oil and brown the sausage. Add the garlic at the last minute. Set aside to cool.

pizza rolls

Photo by Benjamin Martin

4. Cut the pepperoni into small cubes.

pizza rolls

Photo by Benjamin Martin

5. In a bowl, combine the pizza sauce, tomato paste, mozzarella, sausage and pepperoni. Place in the refrigerator.

pizza rolls

Photo by Benjamin Martin

6. Preheat the oven to 400°F

7. Divide the dough in half and roll out into two thin sheets. It helps to have a pasta roller but of course you can do this with a rolling pin. If you are really struggling, go ahead and make the recipe with wonton wrappers.

pizza rolls

Photo by Benjamin Martin

8. Place tablespoons of the filling every half inch on one sheet of dough and fold the other over.

pizza rolls

Photo by Benjamin Martin

9. Cut out each roll with a knife and crimp the sides with a fork.

pizza rolls

Photo by Benjamin Martin

10. Place them on a greased baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. You can also freeze them for some gourmet freezer food.

pizza rolls

Photo by Benjamin Martin

Want more homemade goodies? Try a few of these recipes: