If you’re pressed for time and short on funds, making a personal pizza at home is the way to go.  This way, not only do you save $9.99 plus extra charges for delivery pizza, but you can personalize it any way you’d like.  Using whole wheat pita is a healthy alternative to your typical pizza crust, and you can use low fat cheese and part skim mozzarella to keep fat content low. You most likely have these ingredients lying around the house (and if you don’t, you should!) so this is the perfect dinner for when you’re feeling lazy and want something warm and savory.  Enjoy!

Level: Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

Servings: 1

Marinara sauce, about 1/3 cup
1/2 cup reduced fat, 4-cheese shredded cheese
Fresh mozzarella, as desired
1 whole wheat pita bread

1. Preheat oven to 450˚F.
2. Line a wire rack or baking sheet with tin toil.  Place the pita on the tin foil and spread marinara sauce to your liking.  (If you have a pizza stone, use this instead of tin foil and a baking sheet.)
3. Sprinkle a thin layer of shredded cheese all over. Leave half an inch around the circumference for the crust.
4. Place thin slices of fresh mozzarella over shredded cheese.
5. For an extra cheesy pizza, sprinkle another layer of shredded cheese over the mozzarella.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes, until cheese is fully melted and crust begins to brown.
7. Garnish with red pepper flakes to spice it up!