Summer has a way of slowly but slyly slipping away into autumn. The skies begin darkening for earlier sunsets, ripe berries reach the end of their harvest season, and the dreaded jingles of back to school shopping ads flash across television screens. It’s Mother Nature’s way of changing up the menu. Goodbye, fruity frescas; hello, pumpkin-spice lattes.

Thankfully, we’ve got oven-roasted tomatoes to celebrate and preserve the flavors of summer. They require minimal effort and preparation, yet you’ll be amazed by the explosion of juicy flavor that comes with each mouthwatering bite. With a drizzle of oil, a splash of balsamic vinegar and a good dousing of sea salt, these tomatoes slowly transform to perfection; they’re delicious whether you serve them plain or on crusty bread, and they make a splendid accompaniment to salads.

Easy

Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 1.5-2 hours
Total Time: 1.5-2 hours

Servings: 4-6

8 small or 4 medium-sized tomatoes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt or coarse sea salt
2 teaspoons sugar (optional)

tomatoes

Photo by Katie Huang

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Slice tomatoes horizontally in half and arrange on a baking sheet, with the cut sides facing up.

tomatoes

Photo by Katie Huang

2. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

tomatoes

Photo by Katie Huang

3. Sprinkle salt, garlic and sugar evenly over tomatoes.

tomatoes

Photo by Katie Huang

4. Roast for 1.5-2 hours or until the tomato skins are wrinkly and juices are bubbling. Watch the time, as baking doneness depends on size of the tomato.

tomatoes

Photo by Katie Huang

5. Serve at room temperature. Enjoy!

tomatoes

Photo by Katie Huang