I am a BIG fan of desserts. A few weeks ago, I made a magically creamy ice cream with just one ingredient—banana (plus some added flavorings). It was so rich and silky, without any additional sweeteners, dairy or eggs, that I decided to make an ice cream cake using that simple trick. It’s an easy way to stay cool in the summer and use those overripe bananas lying in your pantry.

dessert

Design by Shanshan Mei

Chocolate-Biscoff Crunch Ice Cream Cake

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes (hands on), 3 (hours-hands off)
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 3 hour 30 minutes

Servings: 10

For the crust*:
14 ounces Biscoff cookies
4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted

For the ice cream:
6 large ripe bananas
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the topping:
½ cup Biscoff Spread**
3 cups Rice Krispies cereal

*Any crust recipe would work for this cake.
**Peanut butter can be used as a substitute.

Photo by Paige Twombly

1. Cut the banana into chunks and freeze for 2 hours in a ziplock bag/airtight container until solid.

Photo by Paige Twombly

2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Crush cookies until finely ground. Add melted oil and stir until crumbs are moistened.

Photo by Paige Twombly

Photo by Paige Twombly

3. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 10″ springform pan. Bake crust for 15 minutes. Let cool completely.

Photo by Paige Twombly

4. In a saucepan, combine the Biscoff and Rice Krispies cereal over low heat. Mix well until the Rice Krispies are completely coated with the Biscoff.

5. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper/foil. Pour the Biscoff-Rice Krispie mixture onto the lined cookie sheet and spread evenly. Place it in the freezer to chill for 45 minutes.

Photo by Paige Twombly

6. Transfer the banana chunks to a blender with the cocoa powder and vanilla extract and blend until smooth and creamy. This will take about five minutes.

Photo by Paige Twombly

Photo by Paige Twombly

7. Pour onto the cooled crust.

Photo by Paige Twombly

8. Top with Biscoff-Rice Krispie pieces. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least an hour.

Photo by Paige Twombly

9. Unmold and Enjoy!

Photo by Shivangi Surana

Photo by Shivangi Surana

For more summer articles, check these out: