Dairy-free baking can be tricky, but this recipe is a fool proof method to making seamless substitutions. With Crisco and water instead of butter and dairy-free chocolate chips, no one will ever know the difference. 

I actually learned about using Crisco in baking instead of butter from the package of crisco. It explains that the chemical reaction from Crisco and water will equate to the texture and purpose of butter in all recipes. This is awesome for dairy-free baking because there is even a butter flavor of Crisco.

beer
Allison Curley

The dairy-free chocolate chips that I use are from the brand Enjoy Life, which eliminates any risk of soy, nut, and dairy allergies. They bake very well and taste exactly like semi-sweet baking chocolate chips. I use them in any recipe that calls for chocolate because they are the best chocolate substitute

milk, coffee, sweet, candy, chocolate
Allison Curley

My last tip for dairy-free baking is to use bulk in order to disguise any taste changes. That's why I used oatmeal instead of making regular chocolate chip cookies. The oatmeal not only makes the cookies slightly healthier with added nutrition, but also makes the cookies taste more decadent. Here's the easy and never-fail dairy-free oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe I enjoy.

Dairy-free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
  • 1 cup Crisco
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
sweet, oatmeal cookie, oatmeal, cookie, chocolate
Allison Curley

Preheat oven to 375°F.

tea, espresso, beer, coffee
    Allison Curley

Cream Crisco, brown sugar, and water together in a mixer.

milk, cocoa, espresso, chocolate, coffee
    Allison Curley

Add egg and vanilla extract to mixer and gently blend them to the mixture.

candy, milk, coffee, cream, sweet, chocolate
    Allison Curley

Slowly add the flour, salt, and baking soda.

coffee
    Allison Curley

Add the oatmeal and mix slowly.

chocolate, ice, ice cream
    Allison Curley

Add dairy-free chocolate chips (these can be substituted for dried fruit and nuts if desired).

chocolate, coffee
    Allison Curley

Take an ice cream scooper or a small kitchen spoon and scoop the cookie dough onto a baking sheet.

cookie, chocolate
    Allison Curley

Bake for 8-10 minutes until slightly golden.

peanut, butter, peanut butter, oatmeal, cookie, chocolate
    Allison Curley

The trick to this oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe is to not let the cookies bake for too long. If you like doughy and soft oatmeal cookies, especially in the center, take the cookies out sooner than you think you should. Actually, if you take them out when the bottoms are solid, but they still look raw, they will continue to bake on the hot baking sheet before they cool. This is when you get that amazing soft center.

If you leave them in until they appear to be done, then they will cool crispy and crunchy. This method is also just as delicious, but I personally prefer them chewy.