Hot cider is one of my favorite drinks when cold weather rolls in. I make it in my slow cooker and my entire apartment smells like fall. It's gotten to the point where I prefer it over hard ciders. Now, I'm not dissing alcoholic cider, I just prefer my winter drinks to be warm and allow me to add a personal touch, using something like mulled cider sachets or hot cocoa spoons.

I think I'm just a fan of hot drinks once the cold settles in. It's common for me to make a hot toddy whenever I want to drink at home before going out. But I can't exactly transport alcoholic cider around with me and drink it at any time. There are open container laws in Virginia after all, don't you just hate that?

Also, it's a bit hard to carry around a jug of hot cider. It's bulky and annoying at the very least. And while I love the cold, I love having my hands in my pockets when it's cold. So I'd rather just grab a jug that's already cold and heat it up so I can have hot cider at work.

beer, apple
Maddie Lanier

I hate processed food. I avoid it if I can and constantly detoxing my body whenever possible. So, if I want to take my cider with me there is no way in hell that I'm going to use instant cider packets . Yeah, that's a thing. Ew. This usually results in me walking around with a few cider sachets in my lunch bag. That way I can just pop them into some hot cider and melt the icicles that have been forming on my bones thanks to Blacksburg weather

There's nothing quite like seeing the jealousy in your coworkers' eyes when you pop a fragrant smelling cider sachet into your designated mug at work. Yeah, I went there. No regrets. I definitely take some pleasure out of that.

Other Items You'll Need

tea
Caitlin Wolper

Besides your ingredients, the first thing you'll need are sachets or muslin teabags. You can choose reusable or disposable. It doesn't really matter, but I prefer reusable because it's more sustainable. You know, saving the planet and such.

If you want to make your cider sachets super fancy, use Whole Foods' instructions or add some dehydrated orange slices to your mix. Drink up.

Mulled Cider Sachets

• Cook Time:0

• 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 piece star anise
  • 3-4 whole allspice
  • 3-4 whole cloves
  • Sachets
tea, anise, herb, cinnamon
Susanna Mostaghim

Break cinnamon sticks so they'll fit in the bag.

coffee, candy, sweet, chocolate, cinnamon
    Susanna Mostaghim

Place ingredients in bag (the ingredients listed in this recipe are for 1 sachet). Store at room temperature for up to 6 months.

chocolate, coffee, anise, cinnamon
    Susanna Mostaghim

For best results: simmer 1 sachet in 2 quarts plain apple cider for 15 minutes (serves 8).