When it comes to the debate regarding which toppings are best for vanilla ice cream, the competition is fierce. From the classic chocolate drizzle to more innovative toppings, there is no shortage of ideas to dress up your ice cream. However, this recipe incorporates miso paste into a warm caramel sauce to create a miso caramel sauce that might become your new fave.

This miso caramel sauce is sweet, but the flavors of the miso paste adds complexity and depth to the sauce. The miso taste is not overpowering, but the aftertaste of the sauce lingers and pairs beautifully with the coldness of the vanilla ice cream.  Though I don't recommend you drink this sauce, I did see my friends sneak a couple extra spoonfuls after finishing their ice cream.

Recipe modified from the Food Network.

Miso Caramel Sauce

• 1 packed cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 tablepsoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons white miso paste
milk, sweet, dairy product, cream, caramel, honey, dairy, pudding
Bianca Hsieh

Combine brown sugar, heavy cream, butter, salt, and miso paste in medium saucepan and whisk for 5 to 7 minutes.

cream, sweet, bread, chocolate, coffee, dairy product, soup
    Bianca Hsieh

Add vanilla and cook for another minute, allowing the caramel sauce to thicken.

coffee
    Bianca Hsieh

Turn off the heat and allow the sauce to cool. Pour over dessert or into a jar and keep in the refrigerator.

cream, dairy product, sweet, milk, sauce
    Bianca Hsieh