A Bit of History of the Mint Julep:

May 6, 2017 will mark the 143rd running of the Kentucky Derby. The derby means three things: wearing your best formal clothes, big hats, and frosty mint juleps. The mint julep first emerged in 1700's and was typically drank by Virginian farmers in place of coffee. (That makes me feel better about my morning coffee with Baileys.) The Kentucky Derby takes place in Louisville, Kentucky and is often referred to as "the greatest two minutes in sports." The mint julep has been promoted as the official drink of the Kentucky Derby since 1938 and contains none other than good old Kentucky bourbon. For a whiskey to be considered a bourbon it must be produced in America and made from 51% corn as well as stored in new oak charred barrels. 95% of the worlds bourbon is made in Kentucky. Here is a mint julep recipe that is 100% big hat approved.

Mint Julep

• Bunch fresh mint
  • 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
  • 2 oz Bourbon
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • Ice
lemonade, lime, iced tea, juice, tea, lemon, cocktail, ice, mint
Valya Borisova

Gather all your ingredients, including whatever dark liquor is sitting on a shelf in your dorm or apartment but keep in mind that it won't be an authentic mint julep if its not bourbon!

ice
    Valya Borisova

Add 4-5 fresh mint leaves to a highball or rocks glass.

tea, lettuce, salad, herb, vegetable
    Valya Borisova

Add the 2 teaspoons of water and 1 teaspoon of powdered sugar and muddle all the ingredients together.

green tea, sweet, juice, liquor, alcohol, ice, cocktail, herb, mint, tea
    Valya Borisova

Fill the cup with ice and pour the 2 oz of bourbon in. (About 2 regular sized shot glasses or 1 tall double shot).

syrup, whisky, sweet, beer, cocktail, tea, wine, alcohol, ice, liquor
    Valya Borisova

Stir it all up and add the finishing touch: a sprig of mint...and maybe a little more bourbon.

juice, lemon, iced tea, cocktail, sweet, ice, tea, mint
    Valya Borisova

Put on your big hat and let the race (to finish your drink) begin!

liquor, sweet, iced tea, alcohol, lime, tea, lemon, juice, ice, cocktail, mint
    Valya Borisova