This Mexican corn salad serves as a colorful side dish to burgers (beef or veggie), chicken, or whatever is being cooked up on the grill. Loaded with black beans, corn, tomatoes, and avocado, and cilantro, this dish provides a fresh punch of flavor with every bite.  

The first time I made this Mexican corn salad was in seventh grade. My mom was in desperate need of an appetizer for a party she was attending, so she handed me the ingredients and I went to town. Because it was so memorable, it's become a summertime staple in my household. Over time, my Mexican corn salad has evolved and developed into the recipe it is today.  

Mexican Black Bean and Corn Salad

• Cook Time:0

• 2 cans black beans
  • 1 can yellow corn
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1 package grape tomatoes
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 lime
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • Salt
  • Pepper
legume, corn, black beans, vegetable
Sarah Morrissey

Drain the black beans and yellow corn in a colander.

corn salad, meat, sweet corn, vegetable, cereal, corn
    Sarah Morrissey

Chop the red onion, tomatoes, garlic, and cilantro.

vegetable
    Sarah Morrissey

Combine the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.

meat, rice, pepper, vegetable
    Sarah Morrissey

Season with lime, olive oil, cumin, salt, and pepper.

chili, vegetable
    Sarah Morrissey

Carefully cut the avocado and scoop it into cubes.

#SpoonTip: Do not cut into the avocado until right before serving to prevent unwanted browning.

avocado, fish, dairy product, vegetable
    Sarah Morrissey

Stir the salad together and serve.

vegetable, corn
    Sarah Morrissey

Storage

corn
Sarah Morrissey

When storing, place plastic wrap directly on top of the salad, pressing it down to ensure that most of the air gets out.  While this may not stop the avocado's browning process entirely, it will preserve the freshness of the avocado for longer. 

If you happen to have leftovers of this Mexican corn salad (which you probably won't if serving a large group), the great thing about the salad is that it can easily be repurposed for later use. Have some tortilla chips laying around? Now it's a dip! Mix in some spinach or other fresh greens and it turns into a great salad. My personal favorite usage is as a topping to a baked sweet potato. Get creative — the options are endless.