It’s the most wonderful time of the year. That’s right – Passover! Why is Passover so great? Besides the brisket that usually graces our seder table, Passover usually means that for us the entire month of April is devoted to eating and consuming “matzo crack.” There’s no real crack in this treat, but there might as well be. Trust us, the whole plate will be gone by the end of the night. Not eating bread never tasted so good.

Medium

Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 30 min

Servings: 1 whole cookie sheet

6 sheets matzo
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cup chocolate chips or a chopped chocolate bar
Optional toppings:  sea salt, chopped M+Ms, coconut, chopped almonds (or whatever else your heart desires)

1. Preheat your oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Cover the foil with parchment paper sized to fit the pan.

Matzo

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

2. Line every inch of the pan with matzo crackers. You will have to break pieces apart for them to fit. It will look like a strange jigsaw because matzo never breaks along a straight line. It’s okay, just get as much matzo as you can in there.

Matzo

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

3. Melt your butter and sugar together over the stove top, stirring as it cooks. Once it starts bubbling give it another 3-5 minutes and then remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Immediately pour the mixture over the matzo. It will harden quick, so be hasty.

Matzo

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

4. Bake the caramel covered matzo in the oven for 15 minutes. Your apartment will start to smell amazing.

Matzo

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

5. While the matzo is baking, get your toppings ready. If you are fancy and are using chocolate bars instead of chocolate chips, chop your chocolate into small pieces.

Matzo

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

Matzo

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

6. After 15 minutes, remove the matzo from the oven and immediately scatter chocolate chips, in an even layer, over the entire pan. The chocolate chips will start to melt and you can use a spoon or rubber spatula to spread it as evenly as possible.

7. Add the toppings while the chocolate is still hot. We created a hybrid topping matzo crack with quadrants of sea salt, coconut, M+Ms, and almonds that all met in the middle to make a super-topping center. Matzo crack also tastes delicious on its own, sans additional toppings. Enjoy!

Matzo

Photo by Margaret Weinberg