Matcha sprang up out of seemingly nowhere in popularity in the United States this year, but it actually been around since the 7th century. The nutrient-packed tea leaves saturated the food and beverage industry in 2016, and people got real creative. From baked goods and pancakes to gorgeous lattes, matcha has proven itself to be versatile. 

So, as it gets colder out, I thought there had to be a way to transform a matcha latte. Cue the matcha version of hot chocolate. 

For someone who doesn't like chocolate but is a self-proclaimed health nut (like myself), this hot beverage is perfectly festive. Even it's vibrant green color contributes to the holiday season aesthetic. I made my own refined sugar-free marshmallows, but feel free to use what suits your diet. 

Matcha "Hot Chocolate"

• Cook Time:1 min

• 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon matcha tea powder
  • 2 large marshmallows
juice, dairy product, cream, sweet, milk
Kristine Mahan

Heat almond milk or use a frothing device.

milk, tea, coffee
    Kristine Mahan

Heat water until almost boiling. Add hot water to a small bowl, then whisk in matcha tea powder until smooth and frothy.

bread, cream, herb, tea, dairy product

Add matcha tea to 2 small mugs.

tea, mint, herb
    Kristine Mahan

Top almost to the brim with heated or frothed almond milk.

dairy product, milk
    Kristine Mahan

Add marshmallows and enjoy as they melt into your hot drink, sweetening it ever so slightly.

sweet, milk, tea, juice, herb, cream
    Kristine Mahan
And, homemade marshmallows are simpler to make that you'd think, the flavor of honey pairs nicely with matcha tea but you could always sweeten the drink a bit more by adding a teaspoon of honey in while it's hot.