One of the most difficult things about transitioning to college life is the diet. Your body feels like it was turned upside down after you make the swap from Mom’s home-cooked meals to endless pizza, pasta and late-night food. Chocolate pudding is a dining hall staple and while it’s completely delicious, it’s also filled with things like heavy cream and preservatives.

While chia seed pudding is in no way, shape or form a replacement for your traditional pudding, it’s a sweet, less-guilty treat that you can easily make (it takes maybe 5 minutes of active time) from the comfort of your bedroom.

Chia seed pudding is filled with healthier options like low-calorie and low-fat milk substitutes, Omega-3s from the chia seeds and fresh, juicy mango. It also reminds me of the mango pudding I get at my local dim sum establishment at home, so there’s that too.

mangopudding

chia

Photo by Yonatan Soler

Easy

Prep Time: 10 mins
Fridge Time: 24 hours
Total Time: 24 hours and 10 minutes

Servings: 2

1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup almond milk*
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 tablespoon shredded coconut
3/4 cup fresh mango: chopped and peeled
Agave nectar, simple syrup, or honey to taste
1 teaspoon lime zest (for garnish)

*Note: I swear by Whole Foods brand almond milk. It’s much thicker and creamier than traditional almond milks (like Almond Breeze), which lends itself better for something like pudding.

1. In a mason jar or other closed container, add coconut milk and almond milk. Shake the jar until thoroughly combined.
  2. Add chia seeds and shredded coconut, shake well.
  3. Add chopped mango and refrigerate immediately.
  4. Add agave nectar or other sweetener to taste (usually a light squeeze does the trick)
  5. Refrigerate for 5-6 hours and then shake again to distribute the chia seeds. Refrigerate again for rest of 24 hours or until pudding-like consistency.
  6. Top with extra shredded mango, shredded coconut and 1 teaspoon of lime zest if desired.