It can certainly be said that celebrating St. Patrick’s Day is more of a marathon than it is a sprint. While enjoying a pint or six of Guinness is appropriate, you are going to need some fuel to keep calm and #shamrock on this holiday weekend. There is no better way for an American to embrace all that is Irish than to chow down on a juicy burger, loaded with the works: Dubliner cheese, thick-cut American bacon, succulent sautéed onions, Jameson

irish

.gif courtesy of giphy.com

Yes, you read correctly. Jameson. The Holy Temple of all that is Irish whiskey. Glazed onto your burger like St. Patrick himself would have wanted it to be.

irish

.gif courtesy of giphy.com

Whether you are 100% Irish, or have never tasted a potato before in your life, this ultimate Irish whiskey-glazed burger is sure to make you celebrate the blessed Emerald Isle. Or at least resurrect you from your painstaking hangover.

Ultimate Irish Whiskey Burger

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:40 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour
  • Servings:4 burgers

• 8 strips thick-cut bacon
  • 4 large beef patties
  • 4 Brioche hamburger buns
  • 1 large sweet onion
  • 4 slices Dubliner cheese
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup Jameson or other Irish whiskey
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoon honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper plus additional to taste
  • salt to taste
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Photo by Ariana Collura

Cook the bacon strips in a large sauté pan over a low to medium flame. When done, set the bacon aside to dry on a paper towel. Keep the bacon grease in the pan.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Peel the onion by first cutting off the ends and discarding the outer skin. Cut into rings by cutting thick slices across from one end of the onion to the other.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Place the slices of onion directly into the sauté pan with the bacon grease. Keep under a low to medium heat.

Photo by Ariana Collura

As the onions begin to separate and soften, mix in the brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Keep cooking the onions until golden, stirring occasionally.

Photo by Ariana Collura

To make the whiskey glaze, combine the ketchup, whiskey, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, honey, garlic powder, pepper and a pinch of salt. Mix until well combined.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Pour the glaze into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then back down to a simmer, stirring the sauce occasionally until it slightly thickens.

Photo by Ariana Collura

As the sauce finishes thickening, sprinkle some salt and pepper onto the beef patty for seasoning and grill to your liking. When almost fully cooked, spread two heaping tablespoons of the whiskey glaze atop your burger.

#SpoonTip: This burger tastes especially insane when cooked medium rare, but I won’t tell you how to live your life.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Cut off a decent slice of Dubliner cheese and lay it on your burger after adding the whiskey glaze.  Take your burger off of the grill when fully cooked, with the cheese slightly melted.

Photo by Ariana Collura

The grand finale is approaching. Begin to stack your burger on the bottom Brioche bun with your glazed patty first. Then add the onions.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Break each strip of bacon in half.  Place two pieces on top of the onions in a cross to get the most bacon for your buck.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Finally top your burger, and keep your Irish eyes smilin’. Cheers!

Photo by Ariana Collura