How many textbooks do you have stacked up on your desk at this very moment? Too many.

Have you actually used any yet? Some, I guess.

Do you think you’re actually going to read each and every page from each one? Hell, nah.

Textbooks are filled with knowledge and each of your classes has made you buy these crazy expensive books for a reason, right? Yes, they are there for you to boss your papers and exams and basically ace the class. But there’s got to be other things you can do with your textbooks. The answer lies deep within your soul and your undying love for Chipotle and tacos.

We’re going to use those heavy as heck textbooks to make authentic corn tortillas. You know those fancy Mexican places that make guac right in front of you. Well, there’s a high probability that they make their tortillas in house as well, and this recipe will no doubt be similar to theirs. With this recipe, you’ll be able to make corn tortillas that will make you the king (or queen) of Taco Tuesdays.

DIY Corn Tortillas Using Your Heavy AF Textbook

• Prep Time:40 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour 5 minutes
  • Servings:15 tortillas

• 1 3/4 cup masa harina (aka Mexican cornmeal; white or yellow corn is all up to you)
  • 1 cup hot water
Photo by Alex Vu

Combine masa and hot water into a bowl. Using your hands, knead the dough until it becomes a homogenous mixture and has the consistency of soft cookie dough.

Photo by Alex Vu

Cover with plastic cling wrap and let rest for a minimum of 30 minutes.

After resting, check the consistency and make sure it is still soft and doughy; think Play-Doh. If it’s a little stiff, add a splash of water. If it’s a bit on the soft side, add a little more masa.

Photo by Alex Vu

Scoop out a tablespoon of the dough. It should be about the same size as a ping pong ball and place onto a plastic sheet. You know what I’m talking about you beer bong enthusiasts. #SpoonTip: Use those plastic bags you put your veggies in from the supermarket for the plastic sheets.

Photo by Alex Vu

Place another sheet of plastic over the dough ball. Grab the biggest textbook you have and flatten until that ball has become a 1/8 inch thick tortilla. Use a lot of force.

Photo by Alex Vu

Remove carefully from plastic sheet as shown below. It should be easy to remove from the plastic. If it continues to stick and be a major pain in the a$$ that means you need to add more masa to your mixture.

Photo by Alex Vu

Place onto greaseless hot griddle and allow to cook for 30 seconds. Flip the tortilla and allow it took for another 30 seconds. Don’t worry if it puffs up, it’s supposed to do that. #SpoonTip: You can use a skillet if you don’t have a griddle. Aim for a medium-high heat on the stove-top.

Photo by Alex Vu

Remove from heat and allow to rest. It is highly recommended that you stack them on top of each other to create a steaming effect from tortilla to tortilla.
    Now that you were able to make tortillas successfully, here’s a couple of options you can use in order to utilize those fresh corn tortillas.

Photo by Alex Vu

Simple Chorizo Tacos and Quesadillas

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:15 minutes

• 4 Mexican chorizo sausage links
  • 1 diced white onion
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • Favorite melting cheese
Photo by Alex Vu

Remove chorizo from casing. Place into skillet.

Photo by Alex Vu

Allow it to brown. At the same time, break it down into little chunks; think taco meat.

Photo by Alex Vu

Option 1: Chorizo Tacos

Take one of your fresh corn tortillas and fill it with your chorizo and garnish with white onions, cilantro and a lime wedge. Def add a splash of hot sauce if you’re a chili head.

Photo by Alex Vu

Option 2: Chorizo Quesadillas

Follow steps 1 through 3 from the taco recipe but leave out the garnishes.

Add cheese.

Photo by Alex Vu

Fold over to form a quesadilla. Using the griddle from before, press the quesadilla down so that it makes full contact with the griddle. Flip and repeat. Once the cheese is ooey gooey you know you’re good to go.

Photo by Alex Vu