The classic pumpkin spice latte is in need of a makeover. This beloved fall beverage is everyone’s favorite little cup of happiness, but companies like Starbucks miss out on the opportunity to use nutritionally rich pumpkin, nutrient-boosting spices, and top-notch, non so-acidic-your-throat-hurts coffee.

The pumpkin syrup in Starbucks’ PSLs doesn’t include any pumpkin, but does include fun stuff like potassium sorbitate and high fructose corn syrup. This recipe features real pumpkin, full of vitamins A, C, and E, fiber, and healthy fats. Add some nutritionally complete unsweetened coconut milk, warm maple syrup, and your favorite coffee blend, and you’ve got the perfect nutrient-packed study break.

Paleo Pumpkin Spice Latte

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:25 minutes

• 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
  • 1 tablespoon coconut milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoon honey, maple syrup, or raw cane sugar
  • 2 cup canned coconut milk
  • 2 cup strong coffee
Photo by Julia Renna
Photo by Julia Renna

Step 1

Whisk the pumpkin, tablespoon of coconut milk, spices, and sugar in a small bowl, or directly in a saucepan.

Step 2

Add your brewed coffee to the pot.

Step 3

#SpoonTip: For maximum fluffiness, froth the milk in a separate saucepan over medium-high heat (this requires a separate frothing tool).

Add vanilla extract and mix it while it’s hot, but don’t let it boil. Once frothy, add the coffee mixture to two mugs and pour the milk overtop to serve.

Step 4

If you don’t have a frother (or just want your coffee as fast as possible, no judgement) add the milk directly to the first pan and add vanilla extract. Let it heat until just before it boils, pour into two mugs, and enjoy!