The holidays mean holiday sugar cookies (and family too, I suppose). Therefore, while I would never say no to a holiday sugar cookie, I would say chocolate always reigns supreme in my heart. Sure, you can’t really decorate them but we’re going for taste here. Melted chocolate, candy canes and hot cocoa, come on, that’s so much more fun than sugar cookies.

This recipe shows you how to make the cookie dough (try not to eat all before baking) as a base for the holiday-themed recipes, but if you wanna keep it classic and stick with chocolate chip cookies, you could do that as well.

So go for it, make these cookies and ramp up your holidays (or y’know, make it whenever and ramp up your everyday, who isn’t down for that?).

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:25 minutes
  • Servings:2 dozen

• 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Photo by Megan Yee

Preheat the oven to 350°F (only if you’re making chocolate chip cookies and not using this recipe just as a base).

Melt your butter. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract to the melted butter and beat until combined.

Photo by Megan Yee

Beat in the eggs.

Photo by Megan Yee

Add in baking soda and salt. Then add in the flour a little bit at a time. With each addition of flour, mix it so that it gets incorporated well before you add more flour.

Photo by Megan Yee

Stir in the chocolate chips. If you plan on baking plain chocolate chip cookies, drop the dough onto a baking sheet by forming small balls and baking for about 10 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Photo by Megan Yee

Hot Cocoa Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:25 minutes
  • Servings:30 cookies

• 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 1/4 cup flour
  • 4 oz hot cocoa mix
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
Photo by Megan Yee

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Melt butter, add in white and brown sugar and vanilla extract. Mix together until smooth.

Photo by Megan Yee

Beat in eggs.

Photo by Megan Yee

Add salt and baking soda. Mix in flour and hot cocoa mix a little at a time, making sure it is evenly incorporated before adding more.

Photo by Megan Yee

Mix in all the white chocolate chips.

Scoop out dough into small balls and place on baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted out comes out clean. Decorate with icing if you want to get more into the holiday spirit.

Photo by Megan Yee

Peppermint White Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:10 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes
  • Servings:12 cookies

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy cane

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Melt the butter, mix with white and brown sugar. Make sure it’s mixed together well.

Photo by Megan Yee

Beat in the eggs.

Photo by Megan Yee

Add the salt and baking soda. Add the flour a little bit at a time, making sure it’s evenly mixed before adding more.

Photo by Megan Yee

Mix in the white chocolate chips and crushed candy cane.

Photo by Megan Yee

Scoop out the dough so that it’s in little balls about 1 inch across and place on baking sheet.

Photo by Megan Yee

Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned. Cool and serve (you can even decorate them like Christmas cookies).

Photo by Megan Yee

Chocolate Chip Lava Cookies

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:30 minutes
  • Servings:1 dozen cookies

• 1 cup milk chocolate chips
  • Cookie dough

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Put chocolate chips into a plastic bag and microwave for 1 minute on one side and then 30 seconds on the other side. Repeat microwaving for 30 seconds, switching sides until chocolate is melted.

Grease a muffin tin. Place a bit of cookie dough on the bottom. Cut the tip off the plastic bag and squeeze melted chocolate into the middle of the cookie. Cover the melted chocolate with more cookie dough.

Photo by Megan Yee

Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the edges are a bit browned. Let cool and serve.

#SpoonTip: Use a knife around the edges of the cookies immediately after they come out of the oven for easier removal.

Photo by Megan Yee